Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Exhaust Baffle

Hello Guys!

The baffles have rotted in the rear box of my late 97 Boxster. I don't really want to spend a shed load of money on a new exhaust as I am going to upgrade to a Boxster S shortly. Therefore, can I have the exhaust cut open and the baffles just removed (without replacing)? If so, will this make it fail an MOT, but more importantly will it sound any better?

:cheers:

I am in Alexandria, VA and have a apare '99 muffler I could pass along for a song;

I took it off at ~22,000 miles, and replaced it w/an 's' exhaust which I had opened, removed the two baffled inlet pipes, and welded shut.

message me if you are interested

-DS

Hello Guys!

The baffles have rotted in the rear box of my late 97 Boxster.  I don't really want to spend a shed load of money on a new exhaust as I am going to upgrade to a Boxster S shortly.  Therefore, can I have the exhaust cut open and the baffles just removed (without replacing)?  If so, will this make it fail an MOT, but more importantly will it sound any better?

:cheers:

I did that exact upgrade on my previous Boxster S. I kept the original muffler for when I sold the car but ended up trading it in as is. I still have a good original Boxster S muffler which has sat in storage for a couple of years now. I wouldn't mind selling it if you are interested in buying it.

On the other hand, I did like the sound of the hollowed out muffler so if you want to go that route, I understand. It is res'y though and you won't spend much time under 3200 if you do it.

I don't have any resonance issues, but then again, I only removed the two perforated inlet pipes and left the rest of the internals in place. I do have a better sould (at all RPMs). My wife agrees... the difference wasn't drastic, but was noticable.

... I do have a different engine, but don't think that has any effect of the type of sound change the modification would result in, or the presence/lack of a resonance.

-DS