Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Valentine One Steering Column Controls

Hi. Not sure anyone has come across this before but I bought a CPO'd '09 Cayenne GTS and after a few days or so of playing around and checking it out I noticed 1) That it has a Valentine One mirror, and 2) there is a rotary knob with an outer tab ring, and a separate rocker switch mounted in the bottom of the steering column. Now I initially thought the initial owner (who is unknown) had the head unit removed since the switches and the mirror did nothing. BUT one day I activated the button for the steering wheel/seat memory function when you exit and enter the vehicle and when the wheel retracted slightly the audible radar tone and the mirror lit up ! Whoa ! So, I thought "hey this is neat I've got a detector still in there somewhere."
Unfortunately when I readjusted the wheel further out audio died along with mirror. Then if I played with it and moved wheel almost all the way in toward the dash the audio returned, but still no mirror. Guys at local PCA club thought loose wire. Made sense so I figured out how to remove upper and lower column cover (actually pretty easy and you don't have to remove the steering wheel). Looks like they installed the remote V1 audio board sans the case with the volume/on off and mute volume knob through the column by hot gluing it in place and also that separate rocker switch.
One of the RJ11 plugs was loose and after reseating it the audio and mirror fired right up and stays that way no matter where the wheel is positioned.
However, the volume knob doesn't have the usual option to depress it to mute and I can't change the V1 mode either (it's in "L" which is advanced logic) . These aren't that big of a deal . BUT the rocker switch isn't doing anything . I thought it might mute or maybe even turn off the mirror display for night driving, but that's not happening either. Wire to it looked ok when I had cover off.
Sorry for long post but was wondering if anyone else has this type of setup.
p.s. The V1 works great, but I have no clue where the head unit is in the vehicle.
Thanks for any ideas.  

Sooo, mystery finally solved (almost)....I decided to take the steering wheel covers off again and take another look at the wiring. 1) The reason the V1 mute/mode change wasn't working was because when I depressed the knob the card was moving just enough so it wouldn't depress all the way. This was due to one of the hot glue spots coming loose just enough to negate those functions. I re-glued the original spots and now it works like a champ. 2) After tracing the 2 conductor wire coming off that rocker switch I found the other end of it cut off and bundled up way, and I mean way up under the foot well on the driver's side. So whatever it was initially wired to is long gone. It apparently had nothing to do with the V1 detector in the first place.
The almost is I still haven't found the V1 base unit but given the headliner edge near the windshield above the driver is separated slightly from the clamps and I can see the feed wires going to the mirror I'm betting the base unit is up there somewhere as well. This would make sense given that the rear detection works just fine, and I know it's not in a headrest.
So, case closed.