Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997.1 Battery/Starter/Generator Cable Replacement with Pics

I recently completed the Battery/Starter/Generator Cable replacement.  Attached is a newbie-rated, pic-intensive write-up.  Below is the introduction and table of contents so readers can decide if the document will be of use before downloading the pdf.

"Recently I changed the infamous Battery/Starter/Generator cable on my 997.1.  My car had been a bit sluggish on starting for some time, but, one day when I tried to start it after the engine was at operating temperature it would not start at all, as if the battery were dead.  The next morning, after cooling off overnight and without charging the battery, it started.  I researched the various Porsche forums and found that the aforementioned cable was the likely culprit.  The revised part number for this cable, as of this writing, is 997.607.019.03.  So, I ordered the part and undertook the replacement.  Special thanks to ‘yvesvidal’ from 6speedonline for his tutorial, as well as a thread by ‘equinox’ on 6speedonline that ‘yvesvidal’ used, and a more brief but, nonetheless useful, post by ‘jkw911’ on rennlist.  I followed yvesvidal’s procedure quite closely, though I did change the order of some portions.  I’m a detail-oriented person and what I always hope for is that someone has created a highly detailed, picture-intensive write-up of a given procedure (so I won’t have to).  Knowing that there are others out there like myself, I put together my notes for this procedure for my future reference and am posting it for those who would find it useful.  This write-up is not for everybody as it is newbie-rated, highly detailed and pic intensive.  To gauge time-to-completion, I’d guess that I spent 8 hours working on this job.  Having now done the procedure, it would be faster, especially with this write-up.  A note of caution before embarking on this procedure:  as always, there are an infinite number of ways to screw things up so one undertakes this procedure at their own risk.  What follows is how I completed the job and, as they say on the forums, your experience may vary."

TABLE OF CONTENTS

CHAPTER 1:  INTRODUCTION

CHAPTER 2:  PARTS, SUPPLIES, TOOLS AND PRELIMINARY WORK

1. Parts and Supplies
  2. Tools
  3. Preliminary Work

CHAPTER 3:  REMOVE REAR UNDERBODY PAN UNDER ENGINE

CHAPTER 4:  REMOVE AIR CLEANER HOUSING

CHAPTER 5: REMOVE DRIVE BELT

CHAPTER 6:  REMOVE THROTTLE BODY

CHAPTER 7:  REMOVE PLENUM

CHAPTER 8:  REMOVE POWER STEERING RESERVOIR

CHAPTER 9:  REMOVE GENERATOR

CHAPTER 10:  DISCONNECT TUBES FROM AIR OIL SEPARATOR

CHAPTER 11:  DISCONNECT CABLE ON STARTER

CHAPTER 12:  DISCONNECT CABLE ATTACHMENTS FROM UNDER THE CAR

CHAPTER 13:  REMOVE THE AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR

CHAPTER 14:  DISCONNECT CLIPS AND REMOVE CABLE

CHAPTER 15:  INSTALL CABLE

CHAPTER 16:  INSTALL AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR

CHAPTER 17:  CONNECT AIR OIL SEPARATOR TUBES

CHAPTER 18:  INSTALL GENERATOR

CHAPTER 19:  INSTALL POWER STEERING RESERVOIR

CHAPTER 20:  INSTALL PLENUM

CHAPTER 21:  INSTALL THROTTLE BODY

CHAPTER 22:  INSTALL DRIVE BELT

CHAPTER 23:  INSTALL AIR CLEANER HOUSING

CHAPTER 24:  INSTALL REAR UNDERBODY PAN UNDER ENGINE

CHAPTER 25: WRAP-UP

997.1 Generator-Starter-Battery Cable Replacement with Pics.pdf

• 4 years later...

The directions are great.  However I am stuck on chapter 13 and getting to the rear bolt off of the compressor.  Do you recall what combination of extensions you used to get the socket to sit flat.  I have been trying to find the right combination for way too long over the last couple of days.  Any help would be appreciated.