Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cayenne airbags activiation

Hi,

Does anyone know when the airbags activate, and whether they can all be turned off easily.  I've been using the car in the desert a bit, and one of the techniques for traversing dunes, is side cresting, which requires swapping from one side slope, to the other, which puts the car for quite a side angle rotation.

This can set off airbags on some cars, but not sure on the Cayenne, so far I've avoided doing this, but am wondering if its an issue or not.

Car is a 2009 Cayenne GTS

I don't know when they activate, but I head a dead airbag computer in my 955 when I bought it (someone spilled a beverage). It's right under the cupholders in the center console.

I think you could disconnect battery and unplug the connector from the airbag computer pretty easily. The box is super easy to get to, just just remove the screws holding the oddiments tray on, then the center console trim comes up, exposing the box. 

IMG_0005.jpg

I cant find anything that states function, I know most other systems will trigger if you move from a left gradient to a right gradient quickly, as it can think the car is rolling over.  The gradients alone are not the concern, more the change from one to another.  Before pulling the thing apart, I'll look some more on system activation, but so far I've not uncovered anything, just evidence that other cars (Jeep cherokee etc) suffer from this.

I've had a look at disconnection - it does look a little more complex than first considered.  The system has some back up power (not sure where from, so there is wait time for that to discharge, This would be fine.  Also the files dont clearly indicate the power feed into the module for disconnection.    I cant find a wiring diagram for the car, that doesnt help.

Anyone know where to get a wiring diagram for a 2008 Cayenne GTS. Maybe needs a thread on its own.

Actually doing some research, but looking at newer Cayennes  it looks like airbags are deployed on impact side and front.  Not on roll over.  Does anyone know if this is true?  If so I would not need to modify the system at all.

Function of the airbag system 
Airbags are a supplemental safety system. Your primary protection comes from your safety belts.

The front airbags are triggered during a frontal collision of sufficient force and direction. In the event of a side impact of corresponding force, the side airbag on the impact side is triggered.

The inflation process generates the amount of gas required to fill the airbags at the necessary pressure in fractions of a second.

Airbags help to protect the head and body, while simultaneously damping the motion of the driver and passenger in the impact direction in the event of a frontal impact or side impact.

In order to help provide protection in severe collisions which can cause death and serious injury, airbags must inflate extremely rapidly. Such high speed inflation has a negative but unavoidable side effect, which is that it can and does cause injuries, including facial and arm abrasions, bruising and broken bones. You can help minimize such injuries by always wearing your safety belts.

There are many types of accidents in which airbags are not expected to deploy. These include accidents where the airbags would provide no benefit, such as a rear impact against your vehicle. Other accidents where the airbags are designed not to deploy are those where the risk of injury from the airbag deployment could exceed any protective benefits, such as in low speed accidents or higher speed accidents where the vehicle decelerates over a longer time. Since airbag deployment does not occur in all accidents, this further emphasizes the need for you and your passengers to always wear safety belts.

Your Porsche vehicle is equipped with electronically controlled systems that help to ensure your vehicle operates properly. These systems monitor the operation of various systems and electronically store information that is useful to service technicians when they need to diagnose and repair these systems

OK guys, looks like the only safe way I can work out is to remove the module, whilst off road.  This involves disconnecting the battery, which means I need the radio code....going to put another thread up for that.  Will then report back.    Going to need a quick way to do this, if tis going to be a regular thing.  thinking of fitting a cut out switch to the battery.  

On 4/26/2017 at 0:15 AM, nerdtalker said:

I don't know when they activate, but I head a dead airbag computer in my 955 when I bought it (someone spilled a beverage). It's right under the cupholders in the center console.

I think you could disconnect battery and unplug the connector from the airbag computer pretty easily. The box is super easy to get to, just just remove the screws holding the oddiments tray on, then the center console trim comes up, exposing the box. 

IMG_0005.jpg

OK - folks, I've done some research and checked my car in detail.  It looks like disconnecting the battery and removing this box above (or disconnecting it) is the way forward.  It looks like my PCM2.1 doesnt need a code so I should be able to disconnect battery without fear.  Further research indicated that actually there is a roll over activation built into the airbag system.  Hence the need to do this.

• Thanks 1