Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Side Vents - Please Help

I picked up my "new" '02 Boxster today. When I arrived home after a long drive, I noticed the driver's-side vent appears different than the passenger side.

I'm hoping that it was just installed incorrectly. Can someone confirm this? If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks,

-Mark

HPIM0303.JPG

Steve:

Thanks for the reply. However, I think you are referring to the louvres (sp). My issue is with the way the housing itself is mounted. The passenger-side housing is nice and flush with the body. The driver side housing is actually raised a bit above the body.

-Mark

Were the housing ever redesigned? I initially thought it needed to be pushed in, but on further inspection they almost look like to different housings.

As far as repainting, I really hope not. I just took delivery today.

Does anyone have more detailed pictures regarding housing removal? I looked at the link above, and although it is helpful, it is not detailed enough to make me comfortable to attempt this.

but on further inspection they almost look like to different housings.

The two housings do look different now that I look at it again. The flush one is the same as the ones on my 98 Boxster. The other one doesn't seem to have a lip on the outer edge. Did you buy you car from a dealer? Maybe the previous owner have some explaining to do.

Edited by 98Boxster98

Hi-I also have an 02 in guards red--i am putting on carbon fiber side vents and have had the louvers painted guards red.--so i have really looked at my vents. Yours look just like mine. Even though I also am new to this,I pretty sure yours vents are just fine. I will post pictures after the switch.

Dave

Hi-I also have an 02 in guards red--i am putting on carbon fiber side vents and have had the louvers painted guards red.--so i have really looked at my vents. Yours look just like mine. Even though I also am new to this,I pretty sure yours vents are just fine. I will post pictures after the switch.

Dave

Your passenger and driver side housings look just like mine? That is, one is flush and one has a lip?

Thanks.

Dave:

Thanks. I would still be interested in pictures when you change yours out.

Steve:

Perhaps you were referring to the housings. I had read that the louvres had been redesigned at some point, but I didn't realize the housings were different.'

All:

Anyone know why they are different? That is, why Porsche designed them this way? Also, out of curiosity, when (what MY) did this change occur?

Thanks,

-Mark

no, i am referring to the housing

the lip was raised to prevent water and cigarette butts forom being ingested

aloha

steve

Steve:

Thanks for the reply.  However, I think you are referring to the louvres (sp).  My issue is with the way the housing itself is mounted.  The passenger-side housing is nice and flush with the body.  The driver side housing is actually raised a bit above the body.

-Mark