Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2006 997.1 US C4S Emergency top operator failure

US car, 58K miles, manual transmission C4S,  Top automatic operation failed, pooling hydraulic fluid on passenger side below the car.  Attempted to close the top using emergency operation.  The allen head operator behind the rear passenger seat "snapped" when I attempted to operate.  Spins freely now either direction.  What did I break?  Unsure if this allen head component goes to the hydraulic drive, a set of gears, the motor for the hydraulic pump,, an oil bypass etc.  I'm unable to get the top closed, lifts up a bit (manually) then no further and drops back down.  Really don't want to force the top further and create additional damage.  I was already committed to new hoses/rams with the hydraulic leak, now need to add what else I broke.  In a nutshell- anyone know what additional parts to purchase for the "allen head" component and any idea how to close the top without getting that allen head  to turn counterclockwise?  Any help much appreciated, especially drawings. Definitely regretting not having access to a Bentley manual as I did on my old Boxster.  Thanks, Rich O

• 3 years later...

In order to access the rams (hydraulic pistons) at each side, you must first have to place the top in “service position”: that’s it almost all way up/front. In my case, got puddle of oil at both sides, so both rams failed. It is recommended that both cylinders must be either rebuilt ($$) or replaced($$$$$). Luckily your hydraulic pump could be fine or maybe not. Again, rebuilt the pump can be an option too, but I suggest to try first to fix the rams only. And I mean BOTH rams as if one failed the other should fail soon. Once the soft top is in service position and the rear lid moved away (staying above the engine cover) you can access hydraulic pump and rams removing the carpet cover (where the top rest when is folded back). For the rams it will be a lot easier if you remove the rear speakers at bot sides on the rear seats, in order to access the nut at each lower end of the rams. Be careful with the hydraulic lines not to kink/ damage them. Remove the pump from its support, turn around to access the hydraulic lines connectors and unbolt the banjo bolts from the pump. I suggest to use the very detailed instructions to remove the rams from cabriolethydraulics.com. Follow its instructions and send to them for rebuilt. They did an excellent job replacing all the seals and rebuilding the pistons. Good luck

Edited by FlatSixS