Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Synchronizing top transmissions

I need to synchronize my transmissions for my Boxster top. I had fixed one cable but can't get both sides if the top to be the same. I then snapped the Transmission lever that pushes the arms to raise the top. Tool Pants helped me with a part number and I bought the replacement today. The Porsche dealer said that the only way to Synchronize the two top transmissions is by the Computer. I guess there are about 7 points the computer looks at during the up and down of the top. Has anyone tried to do this at home without the computer. I tried spinning the cables by a drill to line up the by sight but not good enough. Any one who knows about this let me know.

Thanks

Steve

• 7 months later...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5308

I did a search on synchronizing and found nothing, but I found stuff by searching for realign.

I haven't actually tried but i am about to. I don't have a picture handy but on the tranmission there is a line up mark on the metal. I'll try to add a picture tonight. I was just going to make sure both tranmissions are on that same line/mark when I reinstall, and hopefully that will work.

peace,,

here is that pic of the marks/lines that i was talking about

tranny.jpg

Edited by larez2

With those marks lined up and the passenger side tranmission re-installed and the black ball joint on that side plugged back in, the clamshell is about 9cm open measured from where the trunk meets the rear fender to the top of the clamshell.

Keep in mind that the red ball joints and the other driver black ball joint were not hooked up, and the passenger side tranmission, although screwed back in, was not hooked up to the convertible top motor.

I then turned the driver side transmission and visually lined it up with the passenger side one, and plugged back in the driver side black ball joint. I measured in the same place on the driver side and adjusted until is was 9cm as well. Then I hooked up the black ball joint on that side and hooked the transmissions up to the motor. The red ball joints were still disconnected.

I cycled the system several times and watched the clamshell go up and down. I measured the height on both sides at several different points and made sure that they matched up each time. (the top obviously did not move since the red ball joints were still disconnected.)

I hooked up the red ball joints this way:

I plugged them back in, but only on the ball joint side, I did not screw them back into the tranmission right away. The tricky part: the back of the soft top in the service position, but the clamshell closed. This is so i could easily get to the red ball joints and screw them back in. You can do it with the top fully closed from the inside, but you won't be able to see what your doing.

service.jpg

I tested opening and closing the top several times to makes sure everything worked good and lined up, and it did!

HTH,

Larez2