Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

tiptronic breaks when the car is heated :help:

I have 97 boxster and I have 70K mile on it

The problem is when my car is cold it woks fine and there is no problem with the transmission but when it gets heat it about +180 the transmission does not shift to 3rd-5th I see the rpm goes up but there is not shifting its like having the gear on N .then I see the gear flash between 4th and d and the car don’t shift anymore .when I restart the car it does work for 2 minutes then its break or I have 2 keep it at the 2nd .

The problem is getting worse now and the last thing I want to do is replacing the transmission .the dealer said they don’t fix transmissions they just replace them. Any way when this start happening the is give me a hard push when it shift from N to 1st then 2nd .this problem happen only when the car is hot but when its cold every thing is fine. Also I see some oil leaking when the problem starts happening, not always but sometimes.

I do smell something burning sometimes but it goes away after few minutes.

The dealer said the transmition flud is burnd but he is not sure if this is the problem or not.

any Ideas

:help:

Edited by nightghost

• 2 weeks later...

I have had major transmission problems at 116,000 Kms. I am almost sure your transmission will need a rebuild.

Mine started with not going into first when hot at a set of lights. Then i lost drive, its started to slip very badly.

I then had the auto fully re-built. It was drivable, but once warm i.e 30 minutes of running, it would STILL not go into first gear and it was slipping between gear shifts.

The Auto computer was replaced and that fixed the problem of it not going into 1st gear manually.

Its currently having the valve body and torque convertor solenoid worked on. apparently there are plates in the valve body that are destroyed. So when i get i back i am hoping that after having all the internals replaced, the tip computer replaced, and now the valve body insides rebuilt it will be normal.

so... i think your auto is toast !!! The life of the engine and auto is around 110 - 120,000 kms. If your are lucky that is. Mine is also a 97.