Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Getting superglue off the bonnet?

First, are you sure it is Super Glue? Is it raised a bit above the surface? Hard, or can you make an impression into it? Clear, I presume; or cloudy?

Super Glue is a brand name for cyanoacrylate glue, also available in other brands. CA glue, as it is sometimes called, can be dissolved with solvents sold as such by the same companies that make the glue. It may also be dissolved with acetone.

Frankly, before dousing your paint with chemicals, I'd try something simpler first: give it a gentle scrape. If you had a good coat of wax or your favorite polymer product on your car, there's a chance you can coax the stuff off with a fingernail or careful use of a plastic scraper. Do this while applying warm-to-hot water to the offending area.

You also might see if a fine-cut paint cleaner/scratch remover can buff it away.

Whatever you attempt, proceed cautiously and slowly; try not to do any more damage than already present.

Good luck,

--Brian

wow, sorry to hear...

superglue is a tough one, for sure.

what you need is a cyanoacrylate debonder. i have used this product with limited success (meaning that it worked only slightly better than anything else) but it's worth a shot.

in my first year of boxstownership, my trunk 'boxster' emblem had separated from the foam backing tape that was still attached to the trunk. i had some superglue lying around, and never thought for a minute that i may one day want to remove the boxster emblem, so i superglued it back on. it worked great until i wanted to take the emblem off. i used every product you can think of to try to get the superglue off, but nothing would do it. i was able to carefully pick away most of the glue, but there was still glue remaining. i tried the debonder and it did soften the superglue, but in the end there was still some that i could not remove. eventually i had it wet-sanded which did remove a few chips of paint. :(

try the debonder and let it really soak in. you can find debonder online and at hobby shops. i don't know if one brand is better/stronger/safer than the others.

good luck! i think you should find the vandals and superglue them together. :lol:

• 2 months later...

I would like to follow up on Q-ship986 comments and are you sure it is Super glue. It also sounds like it could be tree sap from a pine tree which looks clear but is very hard. Do you park under a tree. As Q-ship986 describes this will come off with a little coaxing from a finger nail or plastic scraper. You can also use acetone or rubbing alcohol which will slowly break this down. Good luck!