Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mac Mini Install in a Boxster

:eek:

I don't get it.. why would any one want to install Mac mini on Boxster where there is no room for it.

Specially right under steering wheel ???

It would make sense, if it was installed with GT3 console delete and install Mac mini in where center console was. But that's just my opinion.

Have a fun...

:D

Check out the Mac mini install in this boxster. I need to do this just for fun.

http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2006/Ra...bellInstall.htm

Enjoy

D Man :thumbup:

IMHO the problem with the Mac is the lack of software - there really isn't any decent GPS software for the Mac which is probabky the single biggest benefit in having a computer installed.

I went with a PC instead, it's installed in the front trunk running off a DC-DC power supply and connected to a motorized 7" VGA screen in the dash. Pretty much everything is driven by the touchscreen but there's also a small keyboard in the glove box if needed.

Screen closed:

post-5516-1136728646_thumb.jpg

Screen Open:

post-5516-1136728732_thumb.jpg

Screen Running GPS:

post-5516-1136728762_thumb.jpg

Assembly and installation wasn't hard but requires a pretty good knowledge of PC's, overall cost was probably less than a standalone GPS unit. The only down side is the lack of a decent way to get sound in to the MOST head unit - I have to rely on an FM Modulator to play my MP3 collection and get voice directions.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

""""I don't get it.. why would any one want to install Mac mini on Boxster where there is no room for it.

Specially right under steering wheel ???

It would make sense, if it was installed with GT3 console delete and install Mac mini in where center console was. But that's just my opinion.""""

Well the only reason I can figure the Guy mounted it there was to have easy access to the CD/DVD of the mini, and I suspose he would want to remove the unit and take it inside the house for updates etc.

If I was to use the under the steering wheel mounting location, I would have removed the Oners manual tray but still used the attach holes and picked up holes using a transfer plate.

I might install my mini in the trunk out of the way and out of sight.

D Man

IMHO the problem with the Mac is the lack of software - there really isn't any decent GPS software for the Mac which is probabky the single biggest benefit in having a computer installed.

I went with a PC instead, it's installed in the front trunk running off a DC-DC power supply and connected to a motorized 7" VGA screen in the dash. Pretty much everything is driven by the touchscreen but there's also a small keyboard in the glove box if needed.

Screen closed:

post-5516-1136728646_thumb.jpg

Screen Open:

post-5516-1136728732_thumb.jpg

Screen Running GPS:

post-5516-1136728762_thumb.jpg

Assembly and installation wasn't hard but requires a pretty good knowledge of PC's, overall cost was probably less than a standalone GPS unit. The only down side is the lack of a decent way to get sound in to the MOST head unit - I have to rely on an FM Modulator to play my MP3 collection and get voice directions.

Chris.

Chris

Nice Job! On the WinDoz PC, Where is the PC unit mounted?, Is it integrated into the In dash Monitor setup you have

Im thinking about going with a Xenarc 700IDT monitor for My mac mini.

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=91

D Man

Edited by D_Man

The PC is in the front trunk, there's a nice big grommet behind the battery that is perfect for running cables. It is in a case that is small enough to sit (for now) in the pocket on the spare tire cover. It is powered with a 90W Opus power supply with integrated shutdown/startup controller so it fires up when the car starts then shuts off shortly after switch off.

The Xenarcs are nice screens, 7" VGA has come a long way in the last year or two.

Chris.