Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Has anyone installed OEM spacers on their 996 or 997 ?

There are 5mm spacers for all 4 wheels and 17 mm spacers for just the rear wheels .

Which are recommended ? Possibly a combination of 5 mm in front and 17 mm in rear ?

Thanks for any advice .

I have the 5 mm on all four corners on MY02 C2 narrow body. The wheels are the 18 inch turbo twist and I have +1 sized the tires to Michelin PS2s with 235/40 and 295/30 front and rear respectively. Wheels now fill the wheel wells better and the car has a marginally wider stance.

Whether it makes a difference in handling is hard to say, but I like the spacers none the less. I do think the 17mm spacers would not work for my car though.

I cut&paste this from my post on the snow tire thread the other day. Basically I put the 17 mm Porsche spacers on some 18" rims that I am using for snow tires on a 997 C4S. They make the snow wheels look 'more stock.'

As shown below, the 17 mm Porsche set (2 spacers) bolts to the wheel hub using your OEM lug bolts, the spacers has bolts built in and your wheel fastens by lug nuts supplied with the spacer set.

The Porsche 5mm set (4 spacers) comes with new lug bolts that are 5 mm longer and I believe include new locking bolts. I think I will add these once I go back to my 19" Classics in the Spring.

The Porsche 17 mm spacers come with 10 black nuts. The spacer then mounts to the wheel hub using the original wheel bolts. The wheel then secures to the spacer using the black nuts. BTW, these nuts are so far inside the wheel that you don’t notice them.

17mmspacers.jpgbarehub.jpgspacermounted.jpg

The weather is dark and rainy today so please excuse the gloomy garage pics. The shot on the left here shows the snow tires after I first put them on (no spacers). The shot on the right is after adding the 17 mm spacers.

prespacerleft.jpgpostspacerright.jpg

The shot on the left here is pre-spacer while the shot on the right is post-spacer. The easiest way to compare the offset is by looking at the tire tread in relation to the wet/sand marks on the garage floor both pre- and post-.

beforerrear.jpgafterrrear.jpg