Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 Tires

GT350

I am looking at replacing my OE tires on an '04 GT3. They are Pilot Sport PS2 that were good on the street and effective the couple times I went to the track. Instead of the Pilots I am looking at Kumho ECSTA SPT. These had a good rating on Tire rack and are half the price of the Pilots.

Has anyone had experience with the Kumho tires?

Thanks,

• Moderators

Hi GT350..... I have no personal experience with those Kumhos on my GT3...but, I do have some personal opinions. As you know, the GT3 is very sensitive to suspension settings, especially alignment and tires. The factory engaged Michelin to develop tires for current 911 models including the GT3 and GT2. The N spec Michelin PS2 and Pilot Sport Cup (in PCar sizes) are a result. My personal experience is only with those two tires on my GT3. The Cup is, of course, track oriented and the PS2 is street (and a little track) oriented. There is a difference in how each feels and handles. You might notice that the rear PS2s in 295/30-18 N2 are Extra Load rated at Load Rating 98. That means they are designed to handle a bigger load at standard pressure than the same sized tire that is not an Extra Load. Several European manufacturers are spec'ing Extra Load tires as original equipment these days. I've seen what happens when a 30 aspect ratio tire loses pressure slowly, or blows out. It is usually destroyed quickly before you can feel the tire going low....and without a spare, you are on a flat bed home. Personally, I feel a little bit better with the Extra Load rating and with the factory's recommendation of that tire. I know that the Michelins are really expensive...but so are your wheels (which can get damaged in a deflation) and your time. Over the last 25 years, I've tried lots of different tires on lots of different cars. I've come to the personal opinion that I get what I pay for in tirres.

Hi GT350..... I have no personal experience with those Kumhos on my GT3...but, I do have some personal opinions. As you know, the GT3 is very sensitive to suspension settings, especially alignment and tires. The factory engaged Michelin to develop tires for current 911 models including the GT3 and GT2. The N spec Michelin PS2 and Pilot Sport Cup (in PCar sizes) are a result. My personal experience is only with those two tires on my GT3. The Cup is, of course, track oriented and the PS2 is street (and a little track) oriented. There is a difference in how each feels and handles. You might notice that the rear PS2s in 295/30-18 N2 are Extra Load rated at Load Rating 98. That means they are designed to handle a bigger load at standard pressure than the same sized tire that is not an Extra Load. Several European manufacturers are spec'ing Extra Load tires as original equipment these days. I've seen what happens when a 30 aspect ratio tire loses pressure slowly, or blows out. It is usually destroyed quickly before you can feel the tire going low....and without a spare, you are on a flat bed home. Personally, I feel a little bit better with the Extra Load rating and with the factory's recommendation of that tire. I know that the Michelins are really expensive...but so are your wheels (which can get damaged in a deflation) and your time. Over the last 25 years, I've tried lots of different tires on lots of different cars. I've come to the personal opinion that I get what I pay for in tirres.

Craig,

Thanks for the comments, some good points.