Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Explanation Greatly Appreciated!

Yesterday, after starting the '97 Boxster (31K miles) in the garage (previously ran some 7 hours earlier), I realized my sunglasses remained in the house. Leaving the Boxster at idle, I ran into the house to retreive same when I heard a loud crash-my cats decided to knock off every book from the shelves in the den. It took several minutes to restore order so that by the time I returned to the garage, the Boxster had been running at idle for some 8-10 minutes or so. I noted a small amount of white-gray exhaust smoke accompanied by a clattering (almost diesel-like) engine noise. I pulled out of the garage and noted that both the smoke and clattering valve-train noise disappeared immediately after driving off. There were no abnormal dash warning lights and the car seemed to be running normally. The car completed a major service only a few days earlier-all was well. This am, the car started and ran normally. I have noted no oil or other fluids on the garage floor beneath the car.

Should I have concerns about this episode? Any pertinent recommendations wll be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

I would kill the cats.

If you cannot reproduce the problem then forget about it. These cars have been known to make hydraulic lifter noise and smoke. It has to do with the flat 6 engine design. This is usually at cold start up. I have always speculated Porsche switched to zero weight oil because people complained about lifter noise.