Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche Short Shifter

I recently picked up my 4th 911 since 95. This is my first Turbo, an '04 Cabriolet. I have driven the car for 2 months unmodified. I tracked my first 2 993s with PCA driver's ed. I made many aftermarket performance modifications to those cars. One modification I never made was adding a short shifter.

When my local Porsche dealer offered me a Porsche short shifter kit for my new Turbo, I jumped on it. I drove it for the first time yesterday and was very surprised by the increased notchiness and effort now required to change gears. The notch causes a pause and a greatly increased effort is required overcome the notch and put the car into gear. At times, I feel like I will bruise my palm shifting gears. I thought the short shifter would increase performance by reducing the throw on the shifter for quicker gear changes. The pause caused by the notchiness and the effort required to overcome the notch makes me feels like there was zero benefit from the change, only negative consequences. At times, the notchiness wouldn't allow me to shift gears without backing off the shifter and reloading. The shift that is particularly disconcerting is 2nd to 3rd. This notchiness and effort is minimal when the car is not moving and at idle.

If you have had experience with a short shifter in your turbo, please help me with the following:

1) Is what I'm describing "normal" for a short shifter?

2) Will it loosen up over time or can some adjustment be made?

3) Could installation be at fault?

4) Or is it just a matter of learning the proper timing for shift changes to reduce time, notchiness and effort?

I have no intention of tracking this car.

Thanks for your comments...

BlackTurboCab

blackturbocab@aol.com

1) Is what I'm describing "normal" for a short shifter?

Yes - sort of.

2) Will it loosen up over time or can some adjustment be made?

Yes both, for the adjustment from the CCZ option TSB:

Screw in the hexagon socket head bolt until the gear-shift lever just begins to jump back to neutral by itself from the 5th-6th gear shift gate

Tighten hexagon nut.

Check shifting in all gears.

3) Could installation be at fault?

I don't think so, see above.

4) Or is it just a matter of learning the proper timing for shift changes to reduce time, notchiness and effort?

It will loosen up and you'll get used to. Mine is usually pretty tight when it's cold.

BTC,

I have an 03 c4s and recently had the Porsche SSK installed by Jeff (Boxster Guru). I have put about a 1k miles on my car with the SSK and my impressions with respect to your questions are as follows:

1) As Rob said Yes sort of... to a point. The notchiness and increased effort - yes. Having to back off and re-load - no. What I find most difficult is trying to get into reverse or first gear. Never any problems between 2nd all the way to 6th.

2) I don't know if it loosens up or if I am just getting used to it. As Rob said check and follow the TSB.

3) I doubt it. According to Jeff, if it was installed incorrectly - no part of it would work.

4) Thats what I am hoping for.

I personally would not go back to stock. I enjoy the shorter throws and it does not feel loose or clumsy, like stock to me.

Hope this helped,

Armand

• Moderators

The oem shift throw on a GT2/Turbo is shorter than a 996. I have measured it. On my list is to measure the 996/base Boxster/Boxster S.

You cannot compare your car to a 993. Not only are the cars way different, but you now shift via cables.

The Porsche factory short shift is now an option.

The Porsche/B&M unit changes the pivot point of the shift lever. We measured a 36.85% reduction on Armand's C4S. Nothing is free - there is always a trade off. Swing a 33" bat and hit a ball and see how far it goes. Cut off about 37 percent of the bat and see how far the ball goes. You can swing a shorter bat faster but there is a trade off.

It is 'notchy.' It does require more effort. It is harder to find reverse. It is a bit harder to find the correct gear. That is because it is a short shift. That is the trade off - nothing is free. Most people get use to it, and would not go back. I tell a new owner to try it on a car first.

There is no adjustment for your complaints other than removing the unit from your car. I am amazed that some people also install an additional short shift unit that bolts to the transmission shift lever in combination with the lever type. Our local group has installed dozens of the B&M and EVO lever style shifts. None have gone back to oem. The EVO unit is not as short as B&M, and 2 of our local Boxster owners with the EVO unit have replaced it with the shorter B&M.

Armand, I think you got a lemon, or maybe a potato, or maybe a B&M. And you are not the first C4S we did. Jeff

shifty_Armand_lemon1.sized.jpg

shifty_Santi_011.sized.jpg

shifty_b_m_shift_can3.sized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...