Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Jack Stand, Floor Jack, and Torque wrench recs.

Guys,

I need to do some work on the car, but before doing so need to buy the following

1) jack stands

2) Floor Jack

3) Ramps

4) torque wrench and socket that will fit standard 996 wheel bolts.

Can anyone recommend high quality, but reasonably priced products and where to get them?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. anyone know how to change wheel lug bolts without scratching them and then having them develop a nice coat of rust?

Vman

Just go to Sears. You can get a very nice quality torque wrench, jack stands, floor jacks, and even ramps there.

You can get a nice "soft" socket for wheel bolts from Boothedesign.

The owner, Ralph Boothe is one heck of a fellow, and a great automotive engineering legend.

Thanks

Skip the ramps. With the jack and the jack stands the ramps are not required.

Do NOT ever go under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Jacks fail and the vehicle then falls rapidly.

If required for your vehicle, order the appropriate jack pad to avoid damage to the chassis.

For ramps, something I learned from another member is to make them with a 2"x12"x10' lumber. Cut them into 24", 18", 12" lengths. The last piece cut in half. Then assemble (nail, screw, glue) them as a stair step, all flush on one side. Attach the last piece to the end as a stopper. Works great for mostly anything you do on the car rear and it is cheap.

Sears has a great $69 3Ton jack that extends to 21", also low profile and fits under car. I like the extra lift to get under the car when I need to do do maintenance. They have a kit that comes with jack stands too. Look in the DIY section for the "how to jack" the 911, and where to put the stands. Don't forget a wheel chokes so it doesn't roll on you when jacking (an experience you will never forget).

For the wheels, 19 mm is the size. Make sure you have a deep socket or extension for the wrench for the rear wheel bolts. Also, I find a breaker bar very handy when removing the bolts. A 24" should do.

Have fun, and don't forget the safety glasses and to remove your watch when sticking your hands in the car mechanics.

For ramps, something I learned from another member is to make them with a 2"x12"x10' lumber. Cut them into 24", 18", 12" lengths. The last piece cut in half. Then assemble (nail, screw, glue) them as a stair step, all flush on one side. Attach the last piece to the end as a stopper. Works great for mostly anything you do on the car rear and it is cheap.

Sears has a great $69 3Ton jack that extends to 21", also low profile and fits under car. I like the extra lift to get under the car when I need to do do maintenance. They have a kit that comes with jack stands too. Look in the DIY section for the "how to jack" the 911, and where to put the stands. Don't forget a wheel chokes so it doesn't roll on you when jacking (an experience you will never forget).

For the wheels, 19 mm is the size. Make sure you have a deep socket or extension for the wrench for the rear wheel bolts. Also, I find a breaker bar very handy when removing the bolts. A 24" should do.

Have fun, and don't forget the safety glasses and to remove your watch when sticking your hands in the car mechanics.

I am heading down to Sears for the jack. On the wheel chokes, I assume you would only need them if you jack the car up from the rear without first putting the front up on jacks. When jacking the car up from the side rear jack point, (in front of the rear tire) as one half of the car is still on the ground I assume it would not be a problem. Please confirm if I am getting this wrong.

Two contact points are required. One for the jack. Another strong location for the jack stand. There must be enough distance between them for both to exist at the same time.

Some Porsche vehicle require jack pads to prevent crushing the body.