Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster speaker kit

Boxster S '00 6-speed RHD South Africa - rear speaker installation.

I read the Pelican article on the PNA 986 KIT. This seems to be freely available in North America, but the local OPC in South Africa has no knowledge of the part number. Can you please provide the part numbers for the discrete components, i.e. speakers, grilles, cables/harnesses (between speakers and from there to the head unit) and connectors (for the rear shelf to the harness to the front and for the back of the head unit) plus anything else that I need to do the installation?

• Moderators

I checked this out several years ago, so take this with a grain of salt.

A PNA part number means Porsche Cars North America, and that is why you cannot order the kit. It is not for your market, for some strange reason.

Years ago I priced the cost of the individual parts to make this kit, and you had better sit down when you get the total price of the individual parts.

Moreover, Porsche does not sell the wiring harness from the rear speakers to the radio head, or the plastic clip on the roll bar for the connectors. But those 2 parts are sold by Becker.

So, you have to buy expensive parts from Porsche and not so expensive parts from Becker to create PNA 986 KIT.

And then it does not sound so good after all.

You are better off with the Harvey Peck kit. He includes the factory grills so it looks OEM. His harness is not OEM but it works. The speakers in his kit are better than the Nokia/Haas used by Porsche, or so it is claimed. He also has a 2 channel amp that you can also buy to drive the speakers so they do not work off the head unit.

But, I do not know if he will ship to you.

Or, you just buy the grills from Porsche and have a stereo shop do the rest.

I have Harvey's kit in my car. It does what it's supposed to do and I have no complaints about the quality, but you just don't get a whole lot out of a few small speakers in the back no matter what you do. If I were doing it over I'd just have a local shop fit something in there and either have them make cloth grills or I'd try to find Porsche grills (a Porsche graveyard somewhere?)

I have Harvey's kit in my car. It does what it's supposed to do and I have no complaints about the quality, but you just don't get a whole lot out of a few small speakers in the back no matter what you do. If I were doing it over I'd just have a local shop fit something in there and either have them make cloth grills or I'd try to find Porsche grills (a Porsche graveyard somewhere?)

Do you have a link to his website?

I installed his kit, too. I have a CDR23 (MOST) w/M490, so I connected to the amp. The fader works and the sound is filled out. Installation was not difficult, but not an undertaking for a novice in my opinion. Overall, I have been very content with this set-up. His website is http://www.pnpvirginia.com, but all it has right now is a link to eBay with some items for sale.

--Brian

New to the board. Great information in here too.

When looking at the PNP rear speakers kit it seems as if the speaker quality is better then the Porsche rear speakers kit. Has any one heard any of these and is there a difference in sound quality? I recently purchase the PNP and should be getting them in a week. Anyone tried to install them or did you have professional installation. How do they hook up to the radio or AMP? Does anyone also have the specs on the PNP speakers.

Edited by towney

New to the board. Great information in here too.

When looking at the PNP rear speakers kit it seems as if the speaker quality is better then the Porsche rear speakers kit. Has any one heard any of these and is there a difference in sound quality? I recently purchase the PNP and should be getting them in a week. Anyone tried to install them or did you have professional installation. How do they hook up to the radio or AMP?

Just received my kit from PNP today, fantastic looking speakers and service. Will let you know about the installation and sound soon.