Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front wheel alignment

I took my 2000 Boxster with 80K miles into a local mechanic to replace the front lower control arm. He called to let me know the car is ready but that he could not do a front alignment because, and I quote, "The car wouldn't fit on my machine." He says he drove it and the alignment is fine.

Recommendations? Drive it? Take it to Porsche?

Going to start searching now, but wanted to get the question out there since I have to pick up the car in a few hours.

Thanks,

Todd

Its advisable to have an alignment done, it won't harm to drive too far to your Porsche centre. If the alignment is out, you may not feel it but it may be scrubbing your tyres.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm getting new tires in November for my B-Day, so not terribly concerned about them. Just worried about screwing up the new control arm or something. . .

I don't understand why the guy can't do this . . . I should ask for a discount from the price he quoted me.

Todd

There may be many reasons why your car won't "fit" on his machine; I can think of three:

(1) The car is too low and won't fit up ramps or clear a lifting device.

(2) The wheelbase is too short...the front and rear axles can't be on slip plates simultaneously.

(3) The wheel adapters/clamps for his machine won't fit your wheels at all or won't fit without damaging.

I encountered #2 on the machine I use, which is one of the latest/greatest machines from Hunter. It's a manageable problem, though; I check and set the rear axle first, then roll the car forward to the front slip/turn plates to do the front axle.

There is a fourth reason, that just occurred to me...(4) He didn't want to do it. (?) Checking and setting alignment can be pain, depending on the machine and the car. If a machine is older, with strings and time consuming compensation steps....

A simple drive won't tell you much about the alignment. Camber, caster and toe settings can each be out of spec without clear symptoms. For instance, total toe can be off, but clear vision (steering wheel angle) OK. Conversely, the steering wheel angle can be out of whack, but total toe AOK. Camber and caster anomalies won't usually be evident unless cross-camber or cross-caster (the difference between the left and right sides) is out of spec...but if both the left and right side are similarly out of spec, then the result may not play out until you have irregular tire wear.

--Brian