Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic final Drive Service

I changed the oil in the final drive for my 99 Tiptronic, current miles is 57K. I did find the oil removed was pretty dirty relative to the new oil. It was simple to do, so here are the steps and what you need.

Parts:

1 liter of Porsche 75W90 gear oil (sold by the quart at dealer)

8 mm allen key wrench

Suction tool (looks like large syringe, Autozone) with flexible clear hose (12-18 in length)

Small syringe and clear plastic tubing (Eckerd or CVS pharmacy children medicine type)

Kitty litter, since you "fill until you spill"

Waste container

Process:

1. Lift car up on jacks, make sure it is level

2. Remove fill/drain bolt with 8 mm allen key wrench. You may need an extension on the allen key for torque.

3. Insert clear hose of suction tool in fill hole, and retract vaccum to remove oil. When full, empty the contents in the waste container. The tube should be flexible, it is a tight squeeze to work with.

4. Repeat process until you get bubbles out, and you hear the gurgling sound

5. Now do the same with the small syringe, small tube. This will allow you to get the last bit of oil out.

6. Fill the Suction Tool 3/4 full with the new oil.

7. Insert the tube in the fill hole and push the fluid out.

8. Repeat the step above until you notice the oil splling out of the fill hole. Wait a minute to let it settle

9. Continue filling with the small syringe. The fill capacity is 0.9 Liter, so you can judge how much more you have left to fill

10. Stop the process when the syringe fill spills from the fill hole.

11. Replace the bolt and torque to 22 ft lbs. I could not fit the torque wrench, so best guessed it with allen wrench. 22 ftlbs is not much.

12. Clean spills, you are done.

Warning, the gear oil will have a strong smell, if you get it on your clothes it will be hard to get off. Don't forget other safety equipment.

post-4600-1146599330_thumb.jpg

Edited by izzyandsue

• 3 years later...

Hi. For the bolt, is there a crush washer that needs to be replaced?

I changed the oil in the final drive for my 99 Tiptronic, current miles is 57K. I did find the oil removed was pretty dirty relative to the new oil. It was simple to do, so here are the steps and what you need.

Parts:

1 liter of Porsche 75W90 gear oil (sold by the quart at dealer)

8 mm allen key wrench

Suction tool (looks like large syringe, Autozone) with flexible clear hose (12-18 in length)

Small syringe and clear plastic tubing (Eckerd or CVS pharmacy children medicine type)

Kitty litter, since you "fill until you spill"

Waste container

Process:

1. Lift car up on jacks, make sure it is level

2. Remove fill/drain bolt with 8 mm allen key wrench. You may need an extension on the allen key for torque.

3. Insert clear hose of suction tool in fill hole, and retract vaccum to remove oil. When full, empty the contents in the waste container. The tube should be flexible, it is a tight squeeze to work with.

4. Repeat process until you get bubbles out, and you hear the gurgling sound

5. Now do the same with the small syringe, small tube. This will allow you to get the last bit of oil out.

6. Fill the Suction Tool 3/4 full with the new oil.

7. Insert the tube in the fill hole and push the fluid out.

8. Repeat the step above until you notice the oil splling out of the fill hole. Wait a minute to let it settle

9. Continue filling with the small syringe. The fill capacity is 0.9 Liter, so you can judge how much more you have left to fill

10. Stop the process when the syringe fill spills from the fill hole.

11. Replace the bolt and torque to 22 ft lbs. I could not fit the torque wrench, so best guessed it with allen wrench. 22 ftlbs is not much.

12. Clean spills, you are done.

Warning, the gear oil will have a strong smell, if you get it on your clothes it will be hard to get off. Don't forget other safety equipment.

post-4600-1146599330_thumb.jpg