Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2002 C2 - Which should I get + Aftermarket warranty?

Greetings everyone,

I've decided the next thing I should waste money on is a 2002 911 C2. I've found two that have all the options I want - advanced technic package, heated front seats, and PSM. One has 29k miles on it, seal grey on black, with supple leather/memory seats. The other has 45k miles on it, and is going through the CPO process at a local dealer. It's silver on black.

I'm curious, do I really need an aftermarket warranty? I don't want to be shelling out money for a new engine, or transmission.I understand that the 02's are more reliable, than say a 99 996, but I'm a little paranoid, since this is my first step into high-er end cars (I've got a 98 m3 now). I'm looking a warranty from http://www.warranties4wheels.com right now, since a few people have mentioned good things about them. The independant dealer that I saw the grey car at (intersport performance in mclean), wanted to sell me an aftermarket warranty through their dealership for $4300 - this was for 4 years/100k miles. I thought that was a little bit too expensive. If the warranty is in the $2500 or below range for 4/100, I can see my self buying it .

Anyone have any comments on the warranties, cpo or aftermarket?

Larry

EDIT: This car will be my DD, and subject to trackdays 3-4 times a year.

Edited by M3 Ninja

You do know that the CPO cars include a 2 yr/ 100,000 mile warranty, right?

Yes, I would either be getting the CPO car with more miles, or the other car with less miles, and a 4 year aftermarket warranty.

My 02 C4S is coming out of warranty and even though I think you are correct in saying that the 02s are a bit safer bet than the earllier 996s ( from reading not from experience ) , I still went for the extended warranty.

It was expensive but also a stress reliever.

Eric

My 02 C4S is coming out of warranty and even though I think you are correct in saying that the 02s are a bit safer bet than the earllier 996s ( from reading not from experience ) , I still went for the extended warranty.

It was expensive but also a stress reliever.

Eric

How much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

I just found this link on private warranties for Boxsters:Link

I purchased an extended warranty for my 2001 BMW 525i and so far have had good luck with it. I've only used it for rental car reimbursement, and even though it was quite messy as far as my not getting "pre-approval" and such, they honored it. I would think they'd have far less motivation to pay claims that Porsche themselves (who don't want to tick off their customers) but who knows. I'm (unfortunately) about to try out the factory warranty on my 2003 Boxster in a week or two, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Edited by mackguyver

Get the CPO. Many many horror stories about aftermarket warranty companies folding, after they've got your money. Porsche ain't going anywhere. Not to mention that you won't have problems with making sure that warranty claims are part of the package on the CPO car.