Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ground clearance

Hi all,

I'm new here, and hoping to go collect my first Boxster on Monday night!

I have a question regarding the ground clearance though, as my driveway is rather awkward, being a bit steep and requiring careful turning.

Anyway, can someone tell me what the distance between the ground and the front of the Boxster is (on a UK 1999 2.5L)? I just want to make sure I'm not going to scratch it by driving it in.

Also, is the ground clearance at the rear greater? If so I'll probably reverse it in to avoid this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

I've been pleasantly surprised by the front clearance on my Boxster ('03 2.7). My '01 BMW 525i has much less clearance and has bottomed out several time (ouch!). As for the rear clearance I totally understand, and I think it is a little low, but living in FL, there aren't a whole lot of steep hills.

I found out the hard way that I can only reverse my Boxster S on to the drive and drive out. If I drive in, when I reverse out it scrapes and catches every time. At service, the OPC replaced a 'spoiler' which is the small plastic piece that looks as though it extends the inner wheel well cover in front of the wheel - if you know what I mean..! :wacko:

I just took a rough measurement with my tape measure, and it looks to be ~6" in the front, 6.5" in the back. Don't hold me too it, but that's what I measured on my '03 with 18" wheels. Remember too that there are other factors in bottoming out, like the suspension, length between wheels & lowest point, etc.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I've now got the car (and absolutely love it of course) and I've so far managed to reverse it in without any scrapes.

Reversing isn't ideal really as my driveway is especially awkward, comprising a neighbour's car on one side and a sudden drop on the other side and at the back! Also the entry way is actually narrower than my car's width (at 90 degrees) so I have to come in at an angle and then hard lock left, go forward, lock right, go back, etc...

I can check the measurements on my car now, and I may have a go driving in forward - slowly - with my girlfriend ready to shout the moment it looks as if I'm gonna scrape something!

Thanks again,

Paul