Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help on the X74 suspension

I'm looking into improving handling on my cab and have been investigating the X74 suspension package. Loren and others, your wisdom is welcome! :rolleyes:

1. One X74 kit for all models? My euro M030 was cabriolet specific. Coupes and cabs had different kits... I believe the kits had different springs based on the model differences in weight distribution.

2. Is the X74 for the coupe only? Did the factory design this kit only for the coupe? I can't find the X74 option in the MY04 order guides, perhaps because it was offered in '03? Is this a Tequipment option? Anyone have links to factory information on this suspension?

3. Is the X74 cabriolet appropriate? I'm not talking about aesthetics... just from a pure handling standpoint.

4. X74 camber limits? I track regularly and burn up the outside edges of my R tires. I am maxed out on camber at -0.9 front and -1.6 rear (degrees). Should any more negative camber adjustment be expected from the lower ride height and X74 setup from the stock mounting points?

Any feedback from cab owners with the X74 would be greatly appreciated, especially if you track your car.

Thanks to all :cheers:

Edited by RJFabCab

Item 1: The X74 is not different for the coupe and cab, but it is different for the C2 vs C4. Check out www.carnewal.com You can also send a question to Gert at gert@carnewal.com He's pretty quick about responding, just remember the time difference.

Item2: Again, no. I have it on my cab.

Item 3: Absolutely!!!! Huge improvement over stock and I don't track my car, but do drive it hard on weekends.

Item 4: I had the specs set to the recommended numbers for the X74 by my dealer when they did the alignment. Can't really comment on this item. Hopefully, someone else can give you more info.

DaveMo,

Thanks for the info. Can you comment more on the handling in your cab? Are you running 18's? Did you have the reinforcement parts installed?

I did contact Gert and he stated that there is only one X74 kit. It's not model specific. Dealer information shows that the X74 is listed only for coupes.

Gert has some feedback on his site, but all the X74's are on coupes.

Cheers

RJ,

Yes, I am running 18's. The car was lowered 1 1/2 inches in the front and 1" in the rear. At high speeds, particularly on big sweepers, the car would feel floatly. That is all gone. On low speed/high rpm corners, the car feels like it's on rails. Clearly, it's firmer on the street, but that's OK with me because that's how I expect a sports car to handle.

If I lived in an area with really bad roads, I might think twice about the X74's and go with the M030's. But in socal, the roads are pretty good and it is a weekend car for me, so I wanted the handling to be very crisp.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

Dave

I am a cab owner as well, and have looking for good suspension upgrades. I got the same answer from checking a with a dealer as well that the X74 was coupe only.

I am a little cautious about what I'm going to select now after speaking with Bilstein US yesterday. He wouldn't sell me the PSS system because the cab body has too much flex with race suspensions and has had 996 cabs with the PSS flex their windshield out. He said there was potential for permanent body damage.

Probably not the case with the x74. Gert seem to know his stuff and probably wouldn't sell it to you if it wasn't a good fit.

Just something to think about RFcab when making your selection.

The "coupe specificity" of the X74 is my hang-up. DaveMo, no problems with chassis flex, creaking windows, pillars, or glass?

Being a factory suspension, the X74 is attractive, but I wonder about its performance during high speed sweepers and esses.

Thanks for the info, guys...

Edited by RJFabCab

I have no problems at all with the X74. It is exactly the type of setup I was looking for. The car is extremely tight and handles like it is on rails. During high speed sweeper, the car used to float - almost to the point that I was very uncomfortable with it on high speed sweepers. That feeling is all gone, and in the canyons, the handling is fantastic. I had a Boxster S with 18" wheels before, and that car handled extremely well. Better that a stock 996. I could stay with the 996's in the corners, but they would loose me on the straights. Now I have the best of both worlds. Fantastic handling and power. One thing to keep in mind is that I have an '02 Cab, and the chassis is stiffer that the previous model.

• 1 year later...
Yes, there were support brackets that were supplied with the kit. They take about 5 minutes to install and you can do it yourself. You just have to take out the rear lights.

It's been a little while since this thread has been active. But I'm currently mulling the thought of a RoW M030 vs. a X74 suspension change for a 2002 C4 cab as well.

Are there any long-term perspectives you can share now that it has been on for a while? I'm especially interested if this becomes intolerable on a convertible. Even with my US stock suspension, when the top is up, there are a lot of pieces rattling in the car. All in the top mechanism, I presume, because when the top is down the car is a lot more quiescent. I wonder whether this would be excessively exacerbated by the stiffer X74 suspension.

Any other feedback would be appreciated before I place an order.

Thanks,

David

• 4 weeks later...

The X74 is for the C2 and the X73 is for the C4

Cab is a flexible chassis and the stiff suspension will cause more twist when goign over bumps. It may eventually bend the frame a bit out of alignment, but no different than if you put in any other performance suspension.

I have an X74 kit I pulled out of my car, has only 500 miles on it. Email me if you are interested.

newmane@univsystems.com