The RennTech.org community is Member supported! - So far 5639 members have become Contributing Members here. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Certain documents on this site were deemed to be copyrighted by other parties -- these have been removed at the request of the copyright holder(s).

Cen-Tech Code Reader 94217

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 td873

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 52 posts

Posted June 19, 2008 - 09:09 PM

I have a CAT that seems to be having issues (or maybe the O2 sensor). It trips a CEL once in a while - maybe once a month or two or three. Anyway, after a few trips, it resets and the CEL goes off - until the next time. But I don't want to miss an important (or just another) CEL in the meantime, and the car will be in the shop to fix the offending part soon enough anyway. So I decided to get a code reader to check the code when it happened, so I don't have to run to the dealer every time. If it's the same code as always, I want to reset it. So, I got a Cen-Tech 94217 Code Reader at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfre...temnumber=94217). This appears to be a rebadged Autel Geniscan GS400 (http://www.auteltech.com/gs400.htm). Everything is the same, right down to the manual. Now the kicker, it accesses the car, reads the codes and displays them. I had a P0420 code. BUT, when I try to erase the code, I get an "Erase Failure!" message. I'm guessing that this is the reader, and not a Porsche specific issue. Any thoughts? -td MY00 C2 Coupe Appears to be DME 7.2

Edited by td873, June 19, 2008 - 09:26 PM.

Want to get rid of these ads? It's easy... just become a Contributing Member.  Donate here

#2 Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 29,605 posts

Posted June 20, 2008 - 06:05 AM

You need to make sure you don't have any other fault codes. If you got an aging sensor fault code also then it could be a bad sensor not the cat. If there really are no codes then you may have a bad cat.

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

Has someone helped you with a good solution to your question(s)? If so, give them a reputation point by clicking the rep_up.png arrow at the bottom right corner of any post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Want to get rid of these ads? It's easy... just become a Contributing Member.  Donate here

The RennTech.org community is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org