Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Cen-Tech Code Reader 94217

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 td873

td873

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 52 posts
Neutral

Posted June 19, 2008 - 09:09 PM

I have a CAT that seems to be having issues (or maybe the O2 sensor). It trips a CEL once in a while - maybe once a month or two or three. Anyway, after a few trips, it resets and the CEL goes off - until the next time. But I don't want to miss an important (or just another) CEL in the meantime, and the car will be in the shop to fix the offending part soon enough anyway. So I decided to get a code reader to check the code when it happened, so I don't have to run to the dealer every time. If it's the same code as always, I want to reset it. So, I got a Cen-Tech 94217 Code Reader at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfre...temnumber=94217). This appears to be a rebadged Autel Geniscan GS400 (http://www.auteltech.com/gs400.htm). Everything is the same, right down to the manual. Now the kicker, it accesses the car, reads the codes and displays them. I had a P0420 code. BUT, when I try to erase the code, I get an "Erase Failure!" message. I'm guessing that this is the reader, and not a Porsche specific issue. Any thoughts? -td MY00 C2 Coupe Appears to be DME 7.2

Edited by td873, June 19, 2008 - 09:26 PM.

#2 Loren

Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 28,033 posts
Outstanding

Posted June 20, 2008 - 06:05 AM

You need to make sure you don't have any other fault codes. If you got an aging sensor fault code also then it could be a bad sensor not the cat. If there really are no codes then you may have a bad cat.

Loren

RennTech.org

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

Has someone helped you with a good solution to your question(s)? If so, give them a reputation point by clicking the rep_up.png arrow at the bottom right corner of any post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org