Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Cayenne S remote control issues

A couple of issues with my Cayenne, the range of the remote control is very short if I walk about 3 cars away pressing the remote doesn't do anything. I have to get about 6 feet from the car before it works.

The other thing is synching the two remotes. I have a remote and my wife has hers, I have all my confort settings such as horn beep on lock, all doors unlock, seat and mirror position. So after I set all of this up, I try to do the same with her remote. I set exactly the same settings. The problem occurs when I go back to my remote everything is back to factory now. then if I set again everything using my remote when I use hers everything is back to factory. It's hella annoying.

Any thoughts?..

Remote range is never good. That's the deal. As long as you know it it's fine. Stand close and you are good to go. I have never done better than 8 to 10 feet too lock/unlock. But it's not a problem once you understand that it is a fixed limitation. Granted it's a bit of a hassle when you are coming across a parking lot with groceries in hand.

Regarding the driver settings tied to specific keys/remotes -- I too have the same issue in my 2004 S. Search the forums and you'll see a few threads on this. One potential solution to try is to enter the car, put the key in the ignition, do not turn the key, leave the key in the ignition for 30 seconds, pull it put, exit vehicle, lock (with remote) let sit for a few minutes then repeat with other key. Then go back in and set-up the settings you want for each key, locking and unlocking each time between keys and then repeat the 30 second part for each key. You can do all this in under ten minutes. Also, replace your remote batteries. Your Cayenne owners manual has instructions on how to do it -- or download the manual from Renntech.

Some folks suggest turning on the engine with each key for a minute after the 30 second drill has been completed. And by the way, the seat and mirrors settings usually are _not_ an issue -- it's just the horn signal and some other settings that are not going to cause too much of a hassle. If you are dealing with seat and mirror settings not working/staying that is a different issue. Not clear from your post if the seats move around to the wrong setting.

I tired the above reset tip (read it on the forums here) and it worked for a month but then the problem reappeared -- the honking horn when locking which is the Cayenne/Porsche default setting -- which I do not like. I mentioned it to the dealer and he's well aware of the issue and he said bring in the vehicle and both remotes and he'd deal with it -- reprogram, etc. I have a CPO so no charge. I'll do it before the end of the year and update this forum.

Another item to check is your car battery(s). Again this is all documented in the posts on Rennetch. Loren has some excellent comments on overall issues triggered by a weak/failing battery. My 2004 S has had it's battery replaced once so think of a new battery as well. I only have the one battery under driver's seat. Model Year 2004 has a few VIN ranges with two batteries. Check your vehicle -- one under seat and possibly another under sub-woofer in rear. Make sure they are all in good condition.

I bought, thanks to these forums, a battery conditioner and run it once a month. The CTEK is excellent or get the Porsche OEM version from Sunset Porsche (link on top of this page). I can give you the part number (message me) and Sunset is great -- they offer, thanks to Loren's efforts, a Renntech member discount, The conditioner/charger is a solid investment and will work for all vehicles.

Edited by odix