Notice - There are less than 4 weeks left until our annual server lease is due for renewal - and we are currently at 80% of funds needed to renew.
Please donate to help keep this site running -- donate here.

Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014-2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

One different lug nut per wheel? What is this?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jfoxny

jfoxny

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 120 posts
Neutral

Posted March 06, 2010 - 02:28 PM

I finally got all the tools I need to change my wheels. I loosened the lug nuts, jacked up the car, took out one lug nut, put in a wheel hanger, removed the remaining lug nuts and then I found that there is one lug nut per wheel that is different from the others! A 19mm socket worked for all of the other lug nuts but there is one lug nut per wheel that has a gear like shape to it. I've attached a picture below. What is this and what tool do I need to remove it? Thanks in advance, Jason

Attached Thumbnails

• lug_nut.jpg
    - Zoom Active -

Edited by jfoxny, March 06, 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#2 goldenwarrior1

goldenwarrior1

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 284 posts
Neutral

Posted March 06, 2010 - 02:32 PM

My guess would be a wheel lock! Look in your glove box or the tool set in the trunk for an adaptor to fit the bolt. One end of the adapter should fit your 19MM socket and the other end will match the splines on the wheel lock.

#3 quinby1

quinby1

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 28 posts
Neutral

Posted March 06, 2010 - 02:33 PM

I finally got all the tools I need to change my wheels. I loosened the lug nuts, jacked up the car, took out one lug nut, put in a wheel hanger, removed the remaining lug nuts and then I found that there is one lug nut per wheel that is different from the others! A 19mm socket worked for all of the other lug nuts but there is one lug nut per wheel that has a gear like shape to it. I've attached a picture below. What is this and what tool do I need to remove it?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

In the tool kit which came with the car (hopefully), there is a tool which fits this nut. It is a security nut so that your wheels cannot be stolen...If you bought the car used, I hope the previous owner left it for you...if not:(

#4 ericinboca

ericinboca

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 478 posts
Neutral

Posted March 06, 2010 - 03:58 PM

I lost my lock key socket once...turns out there are about 20 different styles. I had to break down and go to the dealer with the car to have them bring out the kit of lock keys, and go through till they found one that fit. Was $25 - $30 - something like that.

#5 jfoxny

jfoxny

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 120 posts
Neutral

Posted March 06, 2010 - 04:49 PM

Thanks guys. Turns out the adapter was in the tool kit in the front trunk. Whew! New wheels are on and just took it out for a test drive. Thanks again, Jason

Edited by jfoxny, March 06, 2010 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org