Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I finally believe after all these months thanks to members here,I have found the problem to my starting issues, a faulty ground strap ! Does someone have a photo or can tell me where this is located on my 2002 911/996 ? I live 200 yards from the ocean and everything rusts here, and I believe it's a bad contact, can someone advise ? Dave

If the wire is brittle, stiff, old and crusty I recommend replacing it. Also clean up the mating surfaces on body and engine with a wire brush, then after reinstalling smear/spray on some protective coating/grease designed for electrics.

• 4 months later...

You can reach both ends by jacking up the Right Rear corner and removing the wheel. Piece of cake if the bolts aren't rusted on like mine were! :D

What kind of starting issues were you having? Slow starter?

Edited by rallygabe

• 4 weeks later...

Not so much that , but it doesn't seem to charge back properly, when driving with a load (lights a/c etc) it's a mid to a very low 13. 11-13.3 volts , I believe this should be a constant 13.8 or higher ? But it occasionally drops below 13 volts, at the cigarette lighter where I put a volt meter ? The battery is fine , I had it checked out, removed the alternator ,and had a brand new voltage regulator installed, it bench tested fine, but I still had a new regulator put in, just for the hell of it. So battery checks out fine, so does alternator. I really believe it's the ground straps/and points. I'm thinking of attaching extra ground straps all over from the engine, gearbox, etc to the chassis, as well as the main battery to chassis ground strap, think this is a good idea ? Anyone got any other ideas, or a diagram where all the ground points are located on a 2002 996 ?

The voltage should stay about about 13.5 volts at all times, this is including when all accessories are on full blast.

The symptoms you describe can also be caused by other issues, which are well documented.

- Tired undersized/battery. Even though it may test out OK, a high quality battery with at least 900+ CA should be used. These cars are very sensitive to battery issues. For example, try installing an Optima battery with 1000 CA. Also it helps to take the battery off the car and charge it using a computer controlled 6AMP charger. Then once re-installed use a trickle charger, such as CTEK to maintain it.

- Corroded or undersized positive lead that goes from the generator to starter to jump point. Porsche updated this cable many times and is a big source of headaches.

- Tired starter. Did you have it tested as well?

Sometimes a weak or under-performing component can have a parasitic affect on the other components, and until they are all replaced/diagnosed you are still going to have these symptoms.

For example in my case I had a bad main cable going from generator/starter/jump point.

Once I replaced regulator, that main cable, starter, both main ground straps (with cleaning), and the battery with an Optima, it starts up like an angry squirrel every time.

Hello All,

My 996 4S 10/2004 had the engine replaced by Porsche in March 18th 2013 and since the first day I escalated an issue when I turn-on the engine.

Basically what happen is that when I turn-on the engine, I got randomly noise (interferences) on the rear speakers and sometimes also on the front speakers.

I returned to Porsche 2 times and they replaced the sound Amplifier but unfortunately without success.... because the issue reappear...

Do you have any idea of what could be the root cause of this problem?

I told Porsche several times that the issue happend just after the engine was replaced with a new one and I never had this problem before...

Many thanks in advance for your help very much appreciated.

Liberato D'Esposito

Edited by liberatod

• 2 years later...