Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight switch problem - or more?

First post - hopefully someone has run across this before. TIA for any advice.

2001 Boxster S, 48K miles. Here are the symptoms:

- Very dim low beams lights when driving and headlights switched on. In fact, I don't see a difference in light intensity if they are switched on or not! Just very dim - always.

- The high beam flash works fine and the high beam indicator comes on when I have the lever pulled in

- If I push the lever towards the dash - which I thought should put the high beams on continuously nothing happens. No high beams, no high beam light indicator.

I've pulled the headlight assemblies on both sides and swapped high beam for low beam lights and I have the same problem - so it is not burnt out low beam lights. Highs work fine, lows seem to have no output - very dim.

Seems like I need to replace the headlight switch but the fact that I can't get the high beams to work continuously via the turn signal stock has me wondering if the problem is somewhere else.

Fog lights work fine - both front and rear. Both side parking lights on the headlight switch also function normally. Dashboard illumination with headlight switch on also works normally.

Frankly, I have always thought the low beams were "dim" so I wonder if this has been an issue right from day one when I bought the car (used) from a dealer (during daylight). I actually put an "O" ring behind the headlight switch to cause the fog lights to be "always on" when the ignition was on just to give me some more light at night.

Any ideas or other reasonable diagnostics worth trying?

Thanks!

Jackson

I could have written your post word for word. 2001 Boxster S 75K just purchased Jan. I have been over everything and have power for everything but the low beams (I have Litronics not sure about you as you did not say) My high beam stalk works exactly as yours. I pulled the wires from ballast, they are small white plastic box inside where bulbs reside. Checked power coming from there to low beams and there is none? The large metal boxes on back of unit is the control module and all functions seem to work including motors to adjust beams.

I have come to the same conclusion that I have a worn out headlight switch and low beam function is shot. I have been dragging my feet in buying another one. I was thinking of pulling the switch and checking power coming from switch in the various positions?

I hope to check it this weekend and maybe order switch next week. Fortunately I have a winter 4X4 and don't have to drive this daily or after dark right now.

First post - hopefully someone has run across this before. TIA for any advice.

2001 Boxster S, 48K miles. Here are the symptoms:

- Very dim low beams lights when driving and headlights switched on. In fact, I don't see a difference in light intensity if they are switched on or not! Just very dim - always.

- The high beam flash works fine and the high beam indicator comes on when I have the lever pulled in

- If I push the lever towards the dash - which I thought should put the high beams on continuously nothing happens. No high beams, no high beam light indicator.

I've pulled the headlight assemblies on both sides and swapped high beam for low beam lights and I have the same problem - so it is not burnt out low beam lights. Highs work fine, lows seem to have no output - very dim.

Seems like I need to replace the headlight switch but the fact that I can't get the high beams to work continuously via the turn signal stock has me wondering if the problem is somewhere else.

Fog lights work fine - both front and rear. Both side parking lights on the headlight switch also function normally. Dashboard illumination with headlight switch on also works normally.

Frankly, I have always thought the low beams were "dim" so I wonder if this has been an issue right from day one when I bought the car (used) from a dealer (during daylight). I actually put an "O" ring behind the headlight switch to cause the fog lights to be "always on" when the ignition was on just to give me some more light at night.

Any ideas or other reasonable diagnostics worth trying?

Thanks!

Jackson

"Word for Word" is correct. I have the exact same problem on my 1999 C2. The switch needs to be replaced.

I drove home at 5 am holding in the stalk for momentary high beams. 10 miles across town.

I haven't replaced the switch yet because it just happened.

Somewhere burried in the "thread archives" here is some others that had the same symptoms.

Stuff wears out I guess.

I don't have Litronics but I'm going to order a headlight switch from Pelikan and see if that helps. Hopefully it does - I'll let you all know.

The crazy thing is I think I've been driving this car for 2 years this way and having the fogs on has covered up the problem. Crazy.

• Admin

I don't have Litronics but I'm going to order a headlight switch from Pelikan and see if that helps. Hopefully it does - I'll let you all know.

The crazy thing is I think I've been driving this car for 2 years this way and having the fogs on has covered up the problem. Crazy.

Litronics or Halogen the headlight switch is the same.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I just bought a 1998 Boxster and have the same problem with the dim headlights as described by others. I have read several posting and following some of the advice, I can confirm that the fuses are in good order, the light bulbs are also OK and I have replaced both the light switch and ignition switch and the dim lights are still not working. I have taken out the headlights to check the light bulbs as well as to make sure there is a good contact. The high beam flash works fine but they don't stay on if I push the lever towards the dash - which should put the high beams on continuously. I have made these test with the car's engine running.

Looking at the wiring diagram in the Bentley manual I can only assume that the problem could be related with the high beam switch. Certainly that another possibility could be a wiring problem. 

Has any one had the same problem? Appreciate any advice or suggestions before I disassemble the steering column to replace the high beam, turn signals, wiper switch assembly which is also not cheap.

Thanks 

• Admin
50 minutes ago, werksporsche said:

I just bought a 1998 Boxster and have the same problem with the dim headlights as described by others. I have read several posting and following some of the advice, I can confirm that the fuses are in good order, the light bulbs are also OK and I have replaced both the light switch and ignition switch and the dim lights are still not working. I have taken out the headlights to check the light bulbs as well as to make sure there is a good contact. The high beam flash works fine but they don't stay on if I push the lever towards the dash - which should put the high beams on continuously. I have made these test with the car's engine running.

Looking at the wiring diagram in the Bentley manual I can only assume that the problem could be related with the high beam switch. Certainly that another possibility could be a wiring problem. 

Has any one had the same problem? Appreciate any advice or suggestions before I disassemble the steering column to replace the high beam, turn signals, wiper switch assembly which is also not cheap.

Thanks 

You are just guessing and that can get expensive fast.

I would always check the grounds first.

Get a good ohm meter and check resistance and voltages next. 

Loren, thanks for the prompt reply. As part of the troubleshooting I have checked and clean the grounds at the headlights and they are all good. I don't have 12V at the dim headlights connector at the headlights main connector and at either side of the fuses. If someone has a good electric diagram for me to follow the voltage from the battery thru the fuses and switches that would be extremely helpful so that I can do some further trobleshooting.

Thanks again for your help  

• 2 years later...

We have a 99 porsche Boxster and had experienced the same problems   I had to drive it with the high beam held back just to get the right front hhi beam to say on.  I replaced the switch and it fixed the right side which now has good high and low beams however the drivers headlight is still very dim with no hi beam at all.  I replaced all 4 bulbs.  Not sure where to go from here.

Any help is appreciated.