Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 turbo starter solenoid

gpt817

Im having problems getting my 07 997tt engine started. I have to turn the ignition switch several times to get the engine started. But on my last 10 attempts to start the car, I coulnt start the engine. All I hear is "click".. My battery is new at 12.72 volts. I tried to use a jumper and still couldnt start the car. I now believe the problem is the starter solenoid. Can someone help me find the replacement solenoid in the internet? Please send me a link. Thanks

Edited by gpt817

• Moderators

Two common problems on this starter, neither of which requires changing the starter or the solenoid. The first is the cable running to the starter gets corroded, reducing current flow and causing starting problems. The cable and connections can be cleaned and reinstalled unless the corrosion is severe, then the cable needs to be replaced. Second is the Bendix drive in the solenoid starts to hang up due to lack of lubrication and/or rusting. This requires pulling the starter, cleaning and lubricating the Bendix drive (we use DuPont dry Teflon spray lubricant, but it can be done with white lithium grease as well), and the problem goes away.

Before you start buying expensive parts, start looking at the unit to see if all it needs is some cleaning and lubrication………

• Moderators

You can test the starter yet on the bench to see if he is working properly, there is no need to assemble the starter in the car, usually save some work in case of malfunction.

• 4 years later...