Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I was thinking of upgrading the audio system during the winter. I intend to keep the CDR22 unit and add a amp and repace the standard speakers, as the first step. Additionally later add the door speakers and potentially a sub behind the rear seats.

However, the first issue is to get the sound out from the CDR22 unit, does someone know if the is a kit available from Becker to get the low level output from the stereo ? Before, I think, this could be found on their homepage (www.beckerautosound.com), but now it seams to be redone and this info is not longer available.

Any suggestions for amps that would fit in the factory position ? is the cabling from the coupe difficult to the front compartement ?

Regards,

Niclas

Niclas, check and see whether your car is already running an amp. In my car, it was in the front trunk area just forward of the firewall (between the spare tire and the battery tray). If so, you can unplug the factory amp, remove it, and tap into the signal output there. You can also use the factory harness to pass the amplified signal from the amp to the speakers, its just a pain to figure out because the wire colors may change between the amp plug and the speakers. I've posted some pics somewhere on here of how I've mounted my amp. If you can't find them, let me know and I'll take a couple new ones for ya.

OK, I lifted carpet in the front trunk. I have the C4 so the spare wheel is laying down under the trunk floor. I could not find anything. I have the preparation for the CD changer, but I am not using it, and I think to use this space if it is big enough for the amp, or the area just between the wheel house and the "box" for the front differential (or maybee it is the fuel tank).

I found a plug at the local audio shop that will fit the low level output (yellow plug on the c-connector) ready with the RCA plugs and the Amp remote connector. Still a lot of cabling to do, so maybee in the end I try to put the amp under the passenger seat.

Regards,

Niclas

Here's pics of my C2 install. The new amp is in the same general location as the old factory amplifier. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...84&hl=audio

I have a C4 and the stock amp is located in the center section of the trunk. You need to remove most of the trim panels in the trunk to access it as they all overlap and the center section is the bottom-most.

Shawn

C4 changes things a bit I'm sure. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how. Can you post a pic of the front trunk?

Good photos for the amp install, I'm just replacing original speakers with Focal K2P and mounting an Eclipse EA4000 AMP, need some advice on the best path for routing the wires from the front compartment into the cabin, many thanks.

Darren

99 C2

If you pull the covers above the battery, there are a couple of grommets there that you can route through. I can't remember exactly where at this point, although with the radar detector install I'm getting ready I'm sure I'll be seeing them soon. :D

I was thinking of upgrading the audio system during the winter. I intend to keep the CDR22 unit and add a amp and repace the standard speakers, as the first step. Additionally later add the door speakers and potentially a sub behind the rear seats.

However, the first issue is to get the sound out from the CDR22 unit, does someone know if the is a kit available from Becker to get the low level output from the stereo ? Before, I think, this could be found on their homepage (www.beckerautosound.com), but now it seams to be redone and this info is not longer available.

Any suggestions for amps that would fit in the factory position ? is the cabling from the coupe difficult to the front compartement ?

Regards,

Niclas

If you pull the covers above the battery, there are a couple of grommets there that you can route through. I can't remember exactly where at this point, although with the radar detector install I'm getting ready I'm sure I'll be seeing them soon. :D

found the grommets, thanks for the help

Darren

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What speakers are you finding that fit well into the standard location ?

I'm very tired of listening to my standard 1999 C2 system

thanks

Mark

most people here uses either Focal or MB Quart

We have done countless 996 upgrades with Focals and they are nice. If you really want to step it up, Morel's are pretty hard to beat. I have the Elate 6-3W 3 way setup in our shop's 996 which consists of a 6.5" woofer custom fit behind the factory grill in the door, a 3.5" mid & 1 1/8" tweeter custom mounted under the factory dash grills, all powered by a Genesis Profile 2 Ultra amp. This setup is our upper end system that we recommend for the front stage of 996's. It is rounded out with dual 8" subs in a custom built box behind the back seats powered by a Genesis Profile sub amp. We also have done some great sounding systems with a Dotech or Hybrid Ovation 6.5" 2 way system for those who don't want to break the bank but still want to have great sound quality.

As far as Mark's original question regarding speaker fitment, 996's with hifi sound normally have either a 4" or 5 1/4" subwoofer mounted in a plastic enclosure within the front doors, a 4" mid & a 1" tweeter in the dash as well as the rear side panels. Around '02 they also started adding a ported bose subwoofer box in the rear of coupes which has 2 5-1/4" subwoofers as well. As I said earlier we like to run a 3 way component setup up front, a 4" coax or comp in the rear side panels, & either replace the bose subs in back with Focal 5 1/4" K2 subs or build a new enclosure behing the back seats with either 6.5" or 8" subs for those who really want improve bass response!

Edited by Loren
removed commercial portion of post