Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken Stem on Instrument Cluster

I have a 2002 996 Tip, with broken stem on the instrument cluster. I have taken the cluster apart following all the posts and pictures, and looking at the stem, as it is attached to the instrument ribbon, I cannot see how the broken stem can be removed and replaced with another stem from another cluster. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

post-14574-1179563549_thumb.jpg

post-14574-1179563559_thumb.jpg

post-14574-1179563568_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

No help here. Did not get as far as you.

I was going to fix a 996 ebay cluster with a bent and a broken stem to use in my Boxster. But then I discovered the 996 cluster also had a bad middle LCD display.

By the way, the metal stem 996 clusters were 1999-2001. 2002 Porsche switched to plastic stems. So your pictures would not be of a 2002.

post-4-1179592985_thumb.jpg

No help here. Did not get as far as you.

I was going to fix a 996 ebay cluster with a bent and a broken stem to use in my Boxster. But then I discovered the 996 cluster also had a bad middle LCD display.

By the way, the metal stem 996 clusters were 1999-2001. 2002 Porsche switched to plastic stems. So your pictures would not be of a 2002.

Are the plastic stems in the 2002 and newer 996 clusters also part of a switch that is soldered to a ribbon, if so, then there is a big difference between a Boxter cluster and a 996 cluster. The posts I have seen here, suggest that the stems are easily interchangeable, and that the hard part was finding a donor cluster. Is de-soldering the switch off the ribbon something that can be done at home?

Again, thank you for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

On a cluster with plastic stems the stems are easy to swap, if you can find a stem from a donor that is not broken. The end of the stem fits into a switch, but the stem is not part of the switch like it is in a metal stem cluster. So, this is a different design then a metal stem cluster.

I did not try to remove the metal shaft switch from the board. As stated, my cluster turned out to also have a bad LCD display so there was no point in trying to replace the switch.

post-4-1180314604_thumb.jpg

Hi All

I too have one of these plastic stalks broken. I cannot believe Porsche does not sell them seperately. I too was going to go the e-bay route, and buy a broken cluster to harvest one of these.

Anyone have any idea where to get one for less than the cost of a used instrument cluster.

Thanks in advance