Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE Mod MKIII . (997 C4S mufflers in my 996 C2)

Hi guys:

A friend of mine have installed the OEM PSE in his car (997 Carrera 4S)

As he doesn't need the old mufflers he gave me his 997 C4S cans with the standard double tail pipes.

I'm going to bring them to a welding shop to get the MKII mod done in these 997 mufflers.

The questions are:

1) I think that they are going to sound similar to 996 3.6l MkII Mod. What do you think? Are the internal cans the same in the both (996 and 997) ?

2) Will they fit in my car? What must they do to fit these 997 cans in my 996 C2? I can see that they are a bit different

3) I love the double round tail pipes of 997 Carrera 4S, much better than mine. Do you know if my rear bumper tail pipe holes are wide enough to fit them?

Thanks in advance.

I post 2 pics. here you can see a couple of 996 3.6l mufflers with the Mod MkII

In the other pic you can see a 997 C2S muffler with the same mod, just exactly what I want to do.

Could you help me please?

post-7531-1190957655_thumb.jpg

post-7531-1190957671_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi guys.

I left the cans in the welding shop to get the mod done last week.

They told me to go there to install them in my car.

I had a 997 C4S cans from a friend of mine.

They had to do a little change to fit them in the correct place and changing the end 997's doble pipes to fit in my rear defense.

The 997 cans' end pipe have 35 cm distance from the starting corner.

If you don't cut the pipe to 25 cm (like 996 cans), they will appear in the centre of the rear defense, (more or less like a BMW M3).

They have to cut 10 cm to assemble the final pipe in the rear bumper holes.

I don't know if I'm the first rennteamer who does this MK3 mod (997 cans into a 996)

Incredible sound!!!

997 C4S mufflers works perfectly in a 996 Carrera 3.6!!!!!!!!

It's best mod I've ever done in my car.

New end pipes (997 C4S):

esc01ec7.jpg

esc02nc0.jpg

esc03bf5.jpg

Standard 996 3.6 cans with OEM end pipes (dismantekd):

img2921ak6.jpg

Installing 997 3.8 cans:

img2916kj9.jpg

Placing the 997 3.8 cans (After doing the bypass):

img2917md8.jpg

VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqfAwkwMn58

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Juankimalo,

Loren pointed me in your direction about modding the 997 3.6s for a 996. I bought a set of 997 over the past weeknd, which should be here by this coming weekend.

I will also be doing the MKII mod. Father-in-law has a welder so I'll save some extra $$ on the weld.

The MkII mod sound is incredible thanks to listening to some of the post on youtube. I'm sure the real deal sounds much better than any recording will produce.

Do you know if the 997 3.6L MK II mod sounds any different (+/-) than 996 3.6L MK II. Either way, I'm sold on doing it, but I was just curious.

Other than what you posted here, are there any other 'lessons learned' in doing this mod?

Thanks,

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hobbes,

Are you putting the 997 cans on a 4S or C2 996? I ask because Im trying to do something similar - but people are quoting me outrageous amounts of $$ to cut the 997 pipes!

I was curious - exactly where you need to make cuts to do this mod. More specifically: on the tube that runs from the cat to the muffler - how much did you remove - and did you keep the original end piece / or did you just lop of the end?

Thanks!

J.

J.

I did this mod with the cans for my 996 C2. I had a pretty good local muffler shop who only charged me the labor, $80. We found some old stainless steel pipes in his "scrap" pile and molded them to the angles needed to fit the 996.

The technique we used was to take the 3.4 cans and and put the two side-by-side to get the proper length and angle. I have the measurements and I'll get them to you.

We also had to shorten the tail pipe to fit into the rear valence.

by the way, the sound is quite nice.

Hobbes