Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stereo/Subwoofer Upgrade Survey

Hi folks,

I own RoadsterSound.com, and my particular area of expertise is getting big sound out of small, stealthy little packages. I make two subwoofer enclosures for the BMW Z3 and am finishing up development on another for the Mini Cooper. I'm about to get started on one for the Boxster and would like to get input from current owners. I've seen a few options for stereo upgrades for the Boxster - the Becker/PNA kit, the Harvey Peck kit, the Techart rear deck kit, and the Bose rear deck kit. I've also heard of another kit, OEM I believe, that converts the door speakers to "subwoofers" (can anyone give me details on this kit?). None of these kits strikes me as ideal - none offer good low frequency performance and all seem expensive for what you get.

What I've got in mind is kind of a combination of the Bose/Techart and Becker/Peck kits above - a rear deck enclosure with a subwoofer (likely either an 8" ported or 10" sealed), amp, and rear speakers. The whole setup will be designed to look OEM, and will be as plug-n-play as possible. Any thoughts, preferences, or suggestions? I'm in the early stages here, so almost anything can be accomodated if warranted. Another option is a molded enclosure that fits in the footwell. The advantage there is that low frequency performance can be better, the obvious drawbacks are that it doesn't look OEM and you lose some passenger legroom (probably about 6", depending on how it all works out).

I'd love to hear input from anyone willing to give it - my goal is build what you all want. The more I can involve owners in the process the better. I'm open to any suggestions you all may have.

I also need a few testers, preferably (but not essentially) near New York City - one 987 owner, and two 986 owners (one with glass rear window, one without). In exchange for their time, pictures, help, and feedback these three folks get free enclosures. If you're interested, email me at kevin@roadstersound[dot]com.

Edited by kabennett

I would love to be a tester! I have been looking high and low to add some sound to my little car. I thought about using a pair of 6" JL's in the door and then maybe comp's in the dash and rear.... But if you have any better ideas I would like to hear it. I live in Boston, but I travel to NYC fairly often. Let me know, at the very least how you make out. I would really like to be part of this process.

Thanks,

PR

I have a 2000 silver 986

Hi folks,

I own RoadsterSound.com, and my particular area of expertise is getting big sound out of small, stealthy little packages. I make two subwoofer enclosures for the BMW Z3 and am finishing up development on another for the Mini Cooper. I'm about to get started on one for the Boxster and would like to get input from current owners. I've seen a few options for stereo upgrades for the Boxster - the Becker/PNA kit, the Harvey Peck kit, the Techart rear deck kit, and the Bose rear deck kit. I've also heard of another kit, OEM I believe, that converts the door speakers to "subwoofers" (can anyone give me details on this kit?). None of these kits strikes me as ideal - none offer good low frequency performance and all seem expensive for what you get.

What I've got in mind is kind of a combination of the Bose/Techart and Becker/Peck kits above - a rear deck enclosure with a subwoofer (likely either an 8" ported or 10" sealed), amp, and rear speakers. The whole setup will be designed to look OEM, and will be as plug-n-play as possible. Any thoughts, preferences, or suggestions? I'm in the early stages here, so almost anything can be accomodated if warranted. Another option is a molded enclosure that fits in the footwell. The advantage there is that low frequency performance can be better, the obvious drawbacks are that it doesn't look OEM and you lose some passenger legroom (probably about 6", depending on how it all works out).

I'd love to hear input from anyone willing to give it - my goal is build what you all want. The more I can involve owners in the process the better. I'm open to any suggestions you all may have.

I also need a few testers, preferably (but not essentially) near New York City - one 987 owner, and two 986 owners (one with glass rear window, one without). In exchange for their time, pictures, help, and feedback these three folks get free enclosures. If you're interested, email me at kevin@roadstersound[dot]com.

I have an '05 987 with standard radio head. Regret not getting Bose with rear speakers. While I am very interested in upgrading, I would not be interested in something sitting in the foot well, no matter how good it sounds. Live in Virginia, let me know if I can help.

Hi folks,

I own RoadsterSound.com, and my particular area of expertise is getting big sound out of small, stealthy little packages. ... I've seen a few options for stereo upgrades for the Boxster - the Becker/PNA kit, the Harvey Peck kit, the Techart rear deck kit, and the Bose rear deck kit. I've also heard of another kit, OEM I believe, that converts the door speakers to "subwoofers" (can anyone give me details on this kit?). None of these kits strikes me as ideal - none offer good low frequency performance and all seem expensive for what you get.

I believe ALL the factory door speakers are sub-woofers. This speaker upgrade also included an amp in the trunk and cone tweeters beside the dash speakers. Without the door speakers, the dash peanut grills cover a single speaker.

As for the rear deck, I'd rather have a pair of mid&high stereo speakers behind driver and passenger heads than a sub-woofer.

A few folks have added a subwoofer in the passenger footwell and sacrificed legroom. Since my wife is 6' tall, this is not an option for me. Others have added a sub and amp to the bottom of the front trunk, I prefer not to sacrifice the room or share that much of my bass with the neighborhood.

For the 986, One place I would investigate is placing a downfiring subwoofer UNDER the dash on the passenger side where the 996 has a glove compartment. It's at least a good place for the wiring - it might not be bad for the sound. The 987 actually has a glove box there.

- Ad Sach

2002 986S in Boston.

Hi folks,

The door speakers are part of an M490 option package that adds 5 1/4" inch "subwoofers" to the door panels and an amp in the front boot compartment. Any car that has them from the factory has component mid/tweeters in the dash also (4" and 3/4" I think). The rear "shelf" speaker package is a separate option, and contains (2) 3 1/2" speakers in each side behind the seats, unless its the Bose which had a center subwoofer and one 3 1/2" on each side I believe.

I was considering trying to figure out a rear boot subwoofer setup with porting into the passenger area. Don't know if it would work out - just a thought.

Edited by Andy_M

In my opinion it would be nice to start with some optional kits that are upgrades based on the few OEM audio options available to the Boxster. In my case I have the typical dash and door speakers and have no rear speakers. I want more surround sound and some better low end. I don't have the patience anymore to build custom stuff anymore so I simply want to pay for a kit that adds the rear speakers and adds low end. If the kit requires a new amp or head unit than so be it. This is where you may be able to differentiate levels of kits. Level 1 simply adds rear speakers, Level 2 adds new speakers in the door for better low end, Level 3 adds a sub and requires a new amp and so on and so on.

One thing I like about buying a Dell computer is they make it very easy to analyze upgrades in terms of features and pricing. If you can accomplish that with audio upgrades for a specific car than I would probably be one of your first customers. Kind of the same way Tire Rack takes the car that you have and lists all the potential products.

In my opinion it would be nice to start with some optional kits that are upgrades based on the few OEM audio options available to the Boxster. In my case I have the typical dash and door speakers and have no rear speakers. I want more surround sound and some better low end. I don't have the patience anymore to build custom stuff anymore so I simply want to pay for a kit that adds the rear speakers and adds low end. If the kit requires a new amp or head unit than so be it. This is where you may be able to differentiate levels of kits. Level 1 simply adds rear speakers, Level 2 adds new speakers in the door for better low end, Level 3 adds a sub and requires a new amp and so on and so on.

One thing I like about buying a Dell computer is they make it very easy to analyze upgrades in terms of features and pricing. If you can accomplish that with audio upgrades for a specific car than I would probably be one of your first customers. Kind of the same way Tire Rack takes the car that you have and lists all the potential products.

That's definitely my goal here....thanks for the input.