Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to subscribe or donate. All subscriptions and donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual subscription or donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you subscribe RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's quality Porsche information at a low cost.

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by subscribing or donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

geoff

Contributing Members
  • Posts

    662
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by geoff

  1. You've got to love an $80K+ car that makes too much noise with the sun roof open at speeds above 28 MPH! I took my Boxster back to the dealer this morning to have an oil leak re-checked, and when talking to my service guy about the 997, he suggested closing the sunroof just an inch or two to stop the sound. He said they used to open all the way, then close just enough to stop the wind resonance noise. Since some people have this problem, and others drive with the sunroof open at 80+ MPH, I have to assume it's an adjustment item
  2. With the sunroof all the way open, it sounds like a helicopter is directly overhead starting at about 28 MPH, even on smooth roads. If I put my hand up, the noise stops. Anybody else have this happen, and is it an easy dealer fix?
  3. My wife's 997 is the first of any kind of 911 I've ever driven. It's not broken in yet, so no comments on performance, handling, etc., but if you believe the reviews, the base 997 is an exceptional performance and handling car. My wife couldn't care less about that. She was looking at the 7 series BMW, Merc S-500, Audi A 8, Lexus LS, big Jag, etc. She also briefly looked at the SL500. The 997 is at least as luxurious as anything she looked at (once you add the leather, etc.), but was easier to drive, had better ergonomics (except the Lexus), and made her feel excited about driving a car (something none of the other cars could). I don't think the Cayman will ever be considered as competition for any of these other cars.
  4. Thanks, Loren! I tried pulling on it last night when I snapped the picture, but it didn't come out (easily). Pull harder? Does it need a specific orientation to release?
  5. Loren, Here's a close up. It doesn't seem to just pull out
  6. I'm in WA state until the end of the week, then gone for the weekend (Santa Cruz), then in DC the next week. I'll see if I can snap a picture while passing by my house Definitely looks like a different mounting setup than on my '01 Boxster - no visible torx on the outboard side
  7. Loren - not at all like my Boxster. On the outer side, it looks like the visor post comes down from a round fitting, without any little flip-up cover. On the side closer to the rear view mirror, it comes out and swivels to the side windows like a regular car, not fixed like on my Boxster. I don't know anything about 996s, so can't compare to one of those
  8. I hear one vote for definitely chrome, and one vote for unpolished stainless :o Anybody have any other suggestions?
  9. How do I remove the visors on a Carrera (997)? Same as a 996, or is it a different mechanism? I couldn't find any way to pop off the cover to get at torx screws underneath. I want to get them off to easily remove the airbag stickers. Thanks
  10. Are the 997 Carrera tailpipes stainless steel or chrome - the stock squared off ones? They look gunky pretty quickly, and I'd like to polish them up. If they're chrome, I don't want to use steel wool. Anyone know for sure?
  11. I upgraded to the Litronic HID lights a few weeks ago (self installed). They seem to light up everything!! Trees, houses, etc. Do they usually need to be aligned, or do they come from the factory pretty close? I've never aligned headlights before. Is it pretty easy to do following the instructions in the owners manual, or worth avoiding potential road rage from some disgruntled oncoming driver and taking it to the dealer to get dead on? Are we talking precision adjustments here, or is anywhere close good enough?
  12. Unlike the highly civilized cell service practices in Europe, here in the US the recipient of the phone call pays the cost. :angry: Prepaid GSM here is considerably more expensive than contract rates, and SIMs typically need to be topped up every 90 to 120 days or they expire. When I travel to Europe, I buy prepaid SIMs to stay in touch with work, and talking for 12 hours in a week when they call me costs exactly $0 (actually €0). I haven't found any prepaid GSM provider here in the US that offers free incoming calls. I'm not sure if the US will ever catch up to Europe with respect to cell service
  13. Thanks for the info. The car has the little SIM drawer, and lots of buttons, including SOS. I'll check with my dealer's service manager when he gets back from Hawaii. Glad to hear the Nav is good. So many of the cars we looked at (e.g., BMW) has really bad systems. Is there any way to use her current phone (Cingular GSM) with the Telephone PCM2 module, or will I need to get another SIM with a different phone number? Would I be better of with a Bluetooth phone and figure out how to make that talk to the PCM2 system, so 1 phone does it all? I haven't seen the PCM2 in action with the phone setup, and my salesman wasn't up on all the details.
  14. My wife wants the Nav for her new 997. The sticker lists "PCM Color Display, Radio with In-Dash CD" as a standard Comfort/Convenience item. She spends LOTS of time in her car on the phone, also, and thinks she wants the in-car phone setup also. The dealer said the in-car phone kit isn't available yet. Is there any advantage to getting both Nav and phone installed at once, other than possibly cheaper to pull the dash apart once instead of twice? Are there any benefits of having the two together, instead of just the Nav and using her regular cell phone? I've only driven the car a little, but it drives very nice. It sure feels a lot bigger than my Boxster. Once the break-in period is over, we can have more fun
  15. If you do the wiring and plug in the control unit, when you turn on the high beams, the (HID) low beams rotate up a few degrees to fill in the light below the (halogen) high beam. The same thing happens if you momentarily flash your high beams. If you're a spaz, mechanically, like me, the wiring is a pain. The good thing is you can use the lights without the wiring, then decide later that since you spent so much $$ on the lights to take full advantage of them and hook up the control unit :) My wife just got a new 997 last weekend, and I started reading the owners manual. The autoleveling feature sounds like it only makes adjustments when the car is first started, based on weight loading, and is not dynamic when driving. Yes high beam. As far as I know, you cannot retrofit auto leveling feature anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So Jeff or geoff, what happens if I turn on high beam with no wires installed? No highbeam at all??? <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
  16. Yes, I think so. I installed the Litronics a few weeks ago myself. It's a pain, but worth it. It took probably 4 hours to pull the inside trunk apart, do the wiring, and put it back together. In the process, I learned a lot about how my car is put together. I figured why bother getting the Litronic headlights, then losing the full high beam functionality. I still need to align the lights (they're aimed way too high as received), but quite a bit brighter
  17. I'm sure it's somewhere, but I couldn't find it by searching old posts, and I'm too brain dead and frustrated from installing the Litronic upgrade on my Boxster. So I'll just ask... What interior parts on a 997 Carrera are leather by default, and what extras come with the various leather packages? The picture in the order guide isn't real obvious as to what's standard and what's optional. After looking for a new car for my wife for the past several months (7 series BMW, Audi A8, LS400, Jag, S class, etc.) I finally convinced her to sit in a new 997. After that, it wasn't too hard to convince her to take a test drive. No more cars to order this year, or so the dealer says. But they found one that's close to what we want, but no nav or full leather. My service manager at the dealer says nav can be added, but no-go on leather (without spending big bucks). And my wife really wants the full leather package (or so she thinks) Thanks
  18. Air compressor and tire sealant?
  19. Any tour of the Porsche factory is special, whether you are an owner or not :D I did the factory tour in Stuttgart (actually Zuffenhausen) last year. I believe Porsche also does factory tours in Leipzig. The only way to arrange a tour for mere mortals is through your Porsche dealer. Talk to your local sales guy and ask him about it. At my local dealer, there is one salesman who knows what to do as far as dealing with the factory and PCNA to arrange the tour. Plan at least two or more weeks in advance. I strongly recommend taking the effort to see the tour, definitely worth it :thumbup:
  20. My local dealer had their intro, free food and test drives yesterday (Saturday). Showing up was a big mistake. It became clear on the test drive just how much the new base 987 is improved over a 2001 986. More power, better exhaust sound. I'm not planning to trade anytime soon, but now it's clear there was room for improvement on my car.
  21. I bought a set at Xmas time from Brandywine for $1095. Another $100 for shipping and the clear corners. Sunset couldn't get close to that price - dealer cost just for the lights is now up to around $1200. Sunset said anyone selling them now for $1095 bought them a year earlier and stockpiled them until now, instead of blowing them out at the old, cheaper price
  22. I use very fine steel wool (000 followed by 0000) and metal polish. Makes them look like new
  23. I went into a Leslie's pool supplies yesterday to get some chlorine tablets. They had some "Pool and Spa Lube" (sounds kind of kinky), and when I glanced at the label, it said "Formulated with DuPont Krytox" and costs about $5 for a little tube. Here's a product link. Has anyone tried this stuff for getting rid of rubber squeaking? It also listed silicon as an ingredient, so I'm not sure how well it will work. I was in a hurry, so didn't get to talk to the guy behind the counter about it. Any feedback appreciated...
  24. FYI - I just spoke with SIR Tools. They are discontinuing their 9701 medium wire terminal extractor tool. I tried Sears last night, and they didn't have anything like it. SIR Tools was very nice on the phone, and since I was an individual and didn't have a tool distributor I normally use, they sold direct to me. (800) 845-4542. Supplies are limited and the woman at SIR Tools I spoke with didn't expect anyone in the LA area to have any in stock. Only a few more available for sale if anyone is interested
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.