Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

H&R Sport Springs with Factory Shocks?

There have been several discussions in our forums concerning alternate lowering methods, suspension setups, etc. There are always strong opinions (naturally).

I, like many on this site, only drive my 99 C2 on the street and primarily want to lower the car and gain a bit less body roll due to lower center of gravity.

My car has relatively new factory shocks (NOT 030 sport shocks), and, at 20k miles, it would be a shame and a waste to toss them.

Has anyone that has ACTUALLY INSTALLED just the H&R sport springs on an otherwise stock 996 (with factory standard shocks) noticed a difference in ride quality in terms of bounciness, rough ride, jarring ride, less control, less suppleness,etc.

Again, I would love to limit this discussion only to people that have actually done this mod and want to try to keep theory and academic engineering discussions out of it if possible.

It would be great for all of us to be able to cut through the conflicting info and feedback and focus soley on the experience of those individuals that are currently living with this type of setup....

I did exactly that and love it. Rides just fine for me. It's really subjective so you should ride in someone's car who has done the mod. What's right for me may not be right for you.

The ride does get a bit harsher, but not uncomfortable. Handles just fine and looks great. The H&R's came with my car and a buddy gave me factory shocks with less than 10k miles. Total investment = 0 ....I installed them myself with a help of a buddy.

Good luck!

There have been several discussions in our forums concerning alternate lowering methods, suspension setups, etc. There are always strong opinions (naturally).

I, like many on this site, only drive my 99 C2 on the street and primarily want to lower the car and gain a bit less body roll due to lower center of gravity.

My car has relatively new factory shocks (NOT 030 sport shocks), and, at 20k miles, it would be a shame and a waste to toss them.

Has anyone that has ACTUALLY INSTALLED just the H&R sport springs on an otherwise stock 996 (with factory standard shocks) noticed a difference in ride quality in terms of bounciness, rough ride, jarring ride, less control, less suppleness,etc.

Again, I would love to limit this discussion only to people that have actually done this mod and want to try to keep theory and academic engineering discussions out of it if possible.

It would be great for all of us to be able to cut through the conflicting info and feedback and focus soley on the experience of those individuals that are currently living with this type of setup....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well, I went through with the K&N install using the factory shocks only and here are my impressions after a week of driving:

The Good:

1. Appearance is, of course, excellent

2. No tire rubbing or fender clearance problems whatsoever (even during harsh suspension compression)

3. The car is not so low that I have had any problems entering and exiting driveways or other steep road surfaces

4. Firmer ride at the limit on FLAT pavement

The Bad:

1. Noticeably harsher ride...now all road imperfections transmitted to passengers

2. On poor streets the harsher ride literally causes vibrations that make you feel physically nauseous

(if you drive on good pavement/asphalt, no problem)

3. If you hit any sudden bumps or road imperfections that unsettle the suspension (cement slab breaks on the freeway for instance) the car is substantially more "bouncy"...much more so than with factory shocks and springs. The bouncing does not imediately settle and makes the car seem a bit less surefooted.

If anyone else has experience or feedback...please add your input.

I installed Eibach Pro-Kit springs on stock US shocks 2 weeks ago (1999 C2). I have not noticed the harsh or bouncy ride you describe, then again the roads in the Carolinas are fairly smooth (15 year NY veteran, huge difference in road quality). Went for a quick fast ride on a loooooong highway ramp, dawn on Sunday, with no one around. Hit 140 mph quickly and the car did feel more stable than before.

Will be going to the track next Monday, will let you know my "feelings" afterwards.

Okay papito, here is my impression of Eibach springs pro-kit after 8 hours on track, and about 170 miles of good old fun.

The car tracks signifcantly better, can take corners at higher speeds with much less leaning. Also seemed a lot less scarier going flat out on the straights, felt more planted, secured.

All these are feelings, I know, but I was in the same track a month ago with all stock, so the comparison is recent.

On the road, still no problems, no bouncy as previously described. Only some scraping on the driveway when I am not alone in the car.

Overall, I would recommend this modification as the one of the best and cheapest, right after the muffler upgrade.

Izzy

Hi Cesar, 911h20 told me that he used the Bilstein Sport shocks. But at their retail cost, when you factor in the H&Ks, you are almost better off with an H&K or other fully adjustable coilover kit (only about 500 more). That's what I would do if I could start over again....

Just a thought, but I paid about $250 in Ebay for the Eibachs and don't have any of the bouncy issues you guys are seeing. So the thought is, before going to the higher expense, for say $300 and 4 hours of your time you can install Eibachs and compare to H&K? Worse case you end up selling either spring on E-bay and have a 50% recovery. So your are out $150, imagine it was a bad meal at the Capital Grill on Brickell Ave.

I can not tell you how different they are, just my experience with my 99 wiht 62K miles on the shocks and new springs. I think the Bilsteins are about $1500

Izzy

thanks for the input Izzy....as I recall the Pro Kit Eibachs give you a 2.5 inch drop in ride height, correct? The regular Eibach sport springs are about 1.5 like the H&Rs. Isn't the 2.5 too low with clearance issues. That's the one thing I like best about the H&Rs...don't have to stress about constantly bottoming out although the look is very good. But, quite bouncy. Maybe the 2 1/2 inch drop of the pro kit brings the factory shocks back into a "sweet spot" range of movement with better compression by causing the shock piston to compress further into the body....I'm just theorizing....

The Eibach Pro-Kit is only 25-30 mm, sounds like same as the H&R. I would not do 2.5", I am too old to get out of the car then.

I keep thinking about your problem, and a place to test the bounciness for me is at a local park, that has roadways with low and wide speed bumps.

As I accelerated out of the speed bump, the rear wheels come off the bump and the suspension comes to play. The car goes down, and up only once. No bounce at all. Same with the front. Is that the same you are talking about? I know you can push on the body and see bounce, but that is more extreme bounce.

Izzy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Izzy,

No, the bounce that I and other members have mentioned regarding use of the HKs and stock shocks is more pronounced anytime a bump, cement break or other aberation is driven over. The car basically becomes unsettled....the nose, for instance, tends to come up too far and too fast and then not settle down again immediately (stays too high for too long). Then it comes down, there is usually a series of 1 to 3 additional smaller "bouces". I must also report that my Hks seem to have settled a bit in the last few weeks. The problem is not as pronounced as it was shortly after install. Maybe I am just getting used to it :)