Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 vs. 996 GT3

GT350

I currently own a 996 GT3 and have been "tempted" to get a new 997 GT3. I went to a Skip Barber school at Lime Rock and drove the new 997, it was very impressive. If that difference is the same for the new 997 it would be great.

I would be very interested in anyone's comments that have checked out the new 997. I know that it is still very new, but any comments would be good.

Thanks,

I don't have any seat time in the 997 GT3, but here's my opinion:

I think the 997 GT3 is going to be an awesome vehicle, but like most cars nowadays they are becoming less hardcore by the generation. Especially the US-spec ones...i.e. no cool CF seats and sunroof is standard.

That being said, I'm 100% sure that the 997 will be "better" than its predecessor (stock). It will definitely be faster, and I've heard it's easier to live with day-to-day (albeit that's not the point of the GT3).

I also think that it's aesthetically superior to the 996, but that's subjective.

I say get if it you can afford it!

• 1 year later...

I agree. I've had a drive in the new 997 GT3 and have found it much of a delight to drive on the street. But in saying that I do have a few gripes. The 996 GT3 I believe is the last of the hardcore GT3's. The 997 has functions (aided by electronics) which as much as yes you can turn it off I believe defeats the purpose of what the GT3 originally stood for. The outer bodywork looks a treat but is very subjective to the colouring (again personal opinion) and the interior really didn't do it for me (I still like the plain understated interior of my Mk2 GT3) but I did like the colouring of the guages, oh and the headlights, going back to how they should look.

Personally yes it's a better car but I believe Porsche always do well in "improving" their models, as always buy the one you can afford and if that happens to be the new model, go for it, you won't regret it.

Edited by el-ricardo