Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brakes and bulbs

Regarding my03 (non - S):

1) replacing the rotors to Zimmerman drilled and sloted, good idea, problems? (also what is the minimum rotor thicknes for the front and rear's on a my03)

2) bulbs, sheesh the dealer wants $11.56 Cdn. for the turn signal bulb (PY21W)? Are they always that expensive? I see them on eBay for that much a pair... any caveats on these?

Thanks, Al

• Moderators

1) replacing the rotors to Zimmerman drilled and sloted, good idea, problems? (also what is the minimum rotor thickness for the front and rear's on a my03)

2) bulbs, sheesh the dealer wants $11.56 Cdn. for the turn signal bulb (PY21W)? Are they always that expensive? I see them on eBay for that much a pair... any caveats on these?

Thanks, Al

For #1, the minimum thickness is stamped on the rotor hat. You probably have to remove the wheel the read it. It will be embossed in the hat and might be quite hard to find. I have had issues with Zimmerman rotors warping on my '01S and resorted to buying Porsche OEM ones. However, the last set of OEM rotors I bought did not have the coated hat and they developed severe cracking between the holes. If you go with drilled and slotted, expect to replace them and your pads (the holes and slots act like a cheese-grater unless champfered properly.

#2, I just take the bulb to my local auto parts store and get the generic equivalent.

Good Luck,

Graeme

1) replacing the rotors to Zimmerman drilled and sloted, good idea, problems? (also what is the minimum rotor thickness for the front and rear's on a my03)

Thanks, Al

For #1, the minimum thickness is stamped on the rotor hat. You probably have to remove the wheel the read it. It will be embossed in the hat and might be quite hard to find. I have had issues with Zimmerman rotors warping on my '01S and resorted to buying Porsche OEM ones. However, the last set of OEM rotors I bought did not have the coated hat and they developed severe cracking between the holes. If you go with drilled and slotted, expect to replace them and your pads (the holes and slots act like a cheese-grater unless champfered properly.

#2, I just take the bulb to my local auto parts store and get the generic equivalent.

Good Luck,

Graeme

thanks Graeme, the place that sells the rotor said that they only increase the wear by 10%, BTW I thought that Zimmerman made the Porsche OEM rotors?

I tried the auto parts stores for the bulb, no one had it. I saw a post on another forum that Mercedes sells the same bulb for $1.83! I plan to call in there tomorrow.

Otherwise I have found a source for the bulb with a silver coating (still lights up orange) so the white light din't reflect the amber of the bulb...

Al

Edited by Westcoaster

I'm pretty sure canadian tire sell thats bulb in a green package. just buy some silver paint and lightly paint the head of the bulb it will look silver and still show orange, no problems there.

CT was the first place I checked, not even behind the counter...

Leaning towards the silver bulbs, appearently they are actually chrome plated.