Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DE Brake Pad Recommendations?

drafting

Anyone have a recommendation regarding brake pads that would be best for me to use when driving my '04 turbo during DE events? I'm going to Sebring for a two day event in a couple of weeks, and am a tad leary of using the stock pads with all of those turns and long fast straights. The car is bone stock. TIA!

Jeff

Anyone have a recommendation regarding brake pads that would be best for me to use when driving my '04 turbo during DE events? I'm going to Sebring for a two day event in a couple of weeks, and am a tad leary of using the stock pads with all of those turns and long fast straights. The car is bone stock. TIA!

Jeff

I had a similar question and came across this post in Rennlist:

First this car has amazing brakes but you can induce fade and brake fluid boiling. What I have done is this: First change your brake fluid to Castrol SRF, it is the best period. It is more expensive ie $60 per quart (that is all you need) vs $10 for the blue stuff, so expensive but not in the whole scheme of things. This really decreases the chance of fluid boiling and I do it before each event.

Next, change your pads to Pagid Orange, front and rear. Read the posts on proper "brake pad bedding in" and follow it closely. these pads are tremendously better!!! Yes I leave them on all the time. They work so well on the street you would not know the difference. Yes they stop when they are cold, no they dont squeal (well sometimes but not enough to be changing back and forth, again IMHO). I also never go to the track with less than 50% of pad thickness and take an extra set with me. Also be prepare to "bleed the brake fluid at the track if you do boil. I usually get one of my friends to do this. There are plenty of knowledgable guys at the track that can help with pad changes and fluid. That type of skill can save a weekend event!

Your stock rotors are fine just make sure that after every run you clean out the cross drilled holes as they will fill with brake dust, compressed air works best.

The 'transfer" of material from pad to rotor is what is suppose to happen as the optimum braking happens intially by friction and then and best by adhesion between the layer of pad material on the rotor and pad.

Remember I am giving you the easiest track/street setup that works for me.

Lastly, and this may be over kill but again very cost effective is add GT3 CUP (not RS or plain GT3) front ducts. these are a heavy duty two piece thing that is rivited together (30% more air flow).

For slightly more over kill the Porsche motorsports also have the GT2 rear ducts.

For what you asked for that should do it!!

For more track experience JP is really who I also rely on maybe he can correct what I said.

I am going to Road Atlanta next month so I can tell you how that will work up there as well, my home track is usually Sebring.

Good Luck, have fun!

tom

Tom Kerr

'02 996TT X-50 SPEED YELLOW

Cayenne S '04

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Jaime (a.k.a. Wachuko)

First change your brake fluid to Castrol SRF, it is the best period. It is more expensive ie $60 per quart (that is all you need) vs $10 for the blue stuff, so expensive but not in the whole scheme of things.

Next, change your pads to Pagid Orange, front and rear. Read the posts on proper "brake pad bedding in" and follow it closely. these pads are tremendously better!!! Yes I leave them on all the time. They work so well on the street you would not know the difference. [/i]

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Jaime (a.k.a. Wachuko)

Jaime ---

thx for your response. Pagid is pretty much what i was thinking about. one concern that i have is that on the Pagid web site, they disclaim utilizing the orange pads for street use. not sure what the ramifications are, if they are not a good all-round pad for use in say wet conditions or not so terrific for light duty driving, or why they would not sign up to street use. Pagid also seems to recommmend using orange for the rear and black for the front. no clue why that would be, since they also have orange pads spec'd for the front. I hadn't thought of going w/ other than ATE brake fluid, but after reading the specs on the Castrol, i think that i'll go that route. seems a better choice.

as an aside, it's surprising just how radically different the Pagid instructions are for bedding in the sport pads vs. the racing pads.

thx again!

jeff

Edited by drafting

Jeff,

I have been tracking for a couple of years, about 15 days a year. I change to Pagid orange pads for track. They are noisy in the street, but great for track.

I also use ATE Blue or Gold, use alternating colors and flush every few track days or if I feel it loosing power. Road Atlanta, CMP, VIR, Roebling Road, Rockingham, all great tracks in the Southeast.