Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Flush

My Coolant Pump and pulley failed and seized. I have pulled the old pump off and would like to flush the entire system of metal and plastic fragments before (if possible) I refill the new coolant. Can anyone step me through the flush and fill process? I cannot find the proceedure in the service manual. Thanks in advance!

Here's how I did mine. Make sure you remove as much of the plastic bits as possible by removing the water pump. My instinct is you don't want to flush those bits further in.

I'm doing this off memory:

1) Raise the rear of the car

2) Remove the coolant cap and the black lid that lines it. This will give you access to the overflow valve for bleeding.

3) Remove the rear undertray cover

4) Remove the allen plug for drain located on the bottom of the engine block

5) Drain the coolant and dispose properly

6) Flush with water using garden hose to fill the reservoir, make sure the oil cap is on :-)

7) If you want to be anal you can pour 2.5 gallon of distilled water to flush out the tap water. :D

8) Wait... wait... wait ... wait for it to drain

9) Reinstall plug and undertray

10) Fill with 50/50 Porsche approved coolant (note, it's supposed to be a special coolant) and distilled water

11) Burp the system by starting the car, leaving the coolant cap and overflow valve open. Get it warmed up and stay at 3k for 2 minutes.

12) Refill if necessary. I just drove aroudn with my overflow valve open for a while to make sure there was no nasty surprises running my heater and revving the car up. I checked the coolant level afterwards. Bring some coolant with you.

Honestly, the whole process was pretty much like any other car.

My Coolant Pump and pulley failed and seized. I have pulled the old pump off and would like to flush the entire system of metal and plastic fragments before (if possible) I refill the new coolant. Can anyone step me through the flush and fill process? I cannot find the proceedure in the service manual. Thanks in advance!