Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replace all rotors at only 60,000kms on '00 Boxster S?!

Hi,

I've got my '00 Boxster S in service at the moment and they are saying that I need to change all 4 rotors because they are already at their minimum specs. The car's only done 60,000kms and haven't done any track work. Is it common to have to replace rotors so soon?

I'm getting the work done at Euro Automotive Service Centre in Botany NSW Australia. Any comments/feedback on their work?

I had a major done at 50,000kms at Porsche Parramatta and for some reason, Euro Auto is saying I need to change the spark plugs again. I'm just wondering who to believe... has Porsche Parramatta been doing a bad service or Euro Auto are not being truthful.

Any comments?

I should ask for the old rotors back so I can check what condition they are in.

Thanks,

dG

I replaced mine at 70,000km. According to the Porsche Manual they should be replaced at 1mm wear on each side of the rotor (2mm overall)front and rear.

I know of many people who keep them past this state for much longer without any dramatic effects on normal road braking.

I guess, looking after the state of the brakes more meticulously is part of the ownership of a premium car, especially if you use a big part of its performance often.

It may be time to replace the front rotors, but I doubt the rears need it. Rear rotors typically last twice as long as the fronts. It's easy to measure them yourself with an inexpensive measuring caliper or micrometer.

FYI - the front rotors start out 28mm thick and should be replaced at 26mm. The rear rotors start at 24mm and should be replaced at 22mm.

First off, I have a non-S boxster but the principle is the same...

Fronts start at 24mm replace at 22mm, rears start at 20mm and replace at 18mm

My '03 has only 39,000 kms and the fronts are at 22mm and the rears 19mm... :eek:

So based on the comment from KevinC, based on a wear spec of 1mm per surface, 2mm total, the fronts are wearing at twice the rate of the rear rotors.

I am considering replacing all of the rotors and pads.

• 2 years later...

996 with 80,000 miles and my rotors still have minimum thickness left, with equal wear between the front and rear. If they want to sell you new rotors, just go into the shop with them and watch them measure the thickness of the rotors, or demonstrate too much lateral runout, or whatever the problem may be. I don't think I've ever taken a vehicle in for a brake inspection where the shop didn't want to put on new pads and rotors, whether they were needed or not.

• 1 month later...
996 with 80,000 miles and my rotors still have minimum thickness left, with equal wear between the front and rear. If they want to sell you new rotors, just go into the shop with them and watch them measure the thickness of the rotors, or demonstrate too much lateral runout, or whatever the problem may be. I don't think I've ever taken a vehicle in for a brake inspection where the shop didn't want to put on new pads and rotors, whether they were needed or not.

My 2000 Model has just done 84,000 kms and the front rotors are below wear and rears im told close enough to do them all at the same time. I was told in the past 2 services over the past year they needed replacement but never noticed reduced breaking. Am looking at getting a MAF from pelican parts so will most likely also get pads and rotors.

• 2 weeks later...