Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Michelin v Goodyear v Dunlop

I currently have 18" Dunlop Sport 9090 all the way around. Picked up a screw in the driver's side rear yesterday. The rear tires are at the wearmarks. The fronts have 3/16" left.

Anyone have experience comparing Dunlop sport 9090, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS3 and the Michelin PS2?

Is it time to replace all four? Can I get away with replacing only the rear? And could I replace only the rear with a different tire now, and later replace the front with the same brand?

Thanks.

I currently have 18" Dunlop Sport 9090 all the way around. Picked up a screw in the driver's side rear yesterday. The rear tires are at the wearmarks. The fronts have 3/16" left.

Anyone have experience comparing Dunlop sport 9090, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS3 and the Michelin PS2?

Is it time to replace all four? Can I get away with replacing only the rear? And could I replace only the rear with a different tire now, and later replace the front with the same brand?

Thanks.

I put Michelin PS2 tires on my 2003 Boxster S, repacing Bridgestone SO3. It made a world of difference on the track. What a great tire! I am very happy with the changeover. Also, the Michelins seem quieter on the road. They are not cheap but well worth the price.

I assume you mean GSD3's. I put two sets on two different BMW's a couple of years ago.

The first set had nothing but balancing problems from day 1. One tire was replaced. After a few months of screwing around I dumped them for P-Zero's.

The second set was not without its balancing challenges but they were manageable. However, after about 10,000 miles one of the tires went out of round (assume it was a belt separating).

I think these tires are trash. They get real good write-ups from people who have a few 100 miles on them. I was one of them. Over the long-haul, my experience suggests stay as far away from them as possible. Unless you are in a position to simply pitch them if they don't work out.

Otherwise they were wonderful tires. I've had 3 E39's with a slew of performance tires on them. In terms of being able to hold a line, respond to steering input, ride comfort, predictability, wear, noise and Florida monsoons, they are great. They also shake a lot.

• 5 months later...

threeoh, thats gotta be the first bad review ive read on them

I drove an old SL mercedes around that had a pair on them, they hold quite well but the longrun is what counts.

What are you currently running?

Spoke to the local tyre guy, he recons the F1's have terrible road noise after a few thousand kms, advised me to go for the Yokahama Advan Sports, hell if they come stock on a Continental GT there good enough for a Boxster, best of all there Porsche approved :D

• 2 months later...

I had some very bad experience with mixing tires on my 928. I replaced the rears with the exact same brand and type of tire, only 2 years newer, and created a really scary ride. It felt like the rear was only following the front to see what would happen next. The grip was ok but the turn-in dynamics were spooky.

Be sure to find a good tire guy to do the mounting and balancing. Tire Rack used to have a nice section on the website with reviews for tire shops. Look for the guys with a lot of positive reviews and wide, as in wheel width (-:, passenger car wheel experiance. Busting tires is a tough job and the good guys tend to move up to better jobs (like management) as soon as they can. I found a guy in Seattle whose core business is wheel repair and he manages his own business.

Also. you didn't mention Conti Sport Contact 2's. I've had good luck with both roundness and road noise on my 986 and 928. I can't make any claims for grip but they're good enough for my daily summer driving.

• 2 months later...
Busting tires is a tough job and the good guys tend to move up to better jobs (like management) as soon as they can. I found a guy in Seattle whose core business is wheel repair and he manages his own business.

Care to tell who so I can throw him some business? Thanks.