Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello all

I have a '99 C2 cab and would like to repaint the bumper and hood and have a clear bra (3m?) installed. Wondering how well the bra stands up after a couple of years and if rock chips show up on the clear bra?

Any recommendations if I were to change the front bumper?

Thx Rick

Hello all

I have a '99 C2 cab and would like to repaint the bumper and hood and have a clear bra (3m?) installed. Wondering how well the bra stands up after a couple of years and if rock chips show up on the clear bra?

Thx Rick

After 9 months I wish I had saved the money and just had the bumper / hood touched up as needed.

I have the thinnest one (5 mm?) & some rock chips do show - a couple larger ones made it through to the paint. The thicker one protects better but costs more and is more obvious.

I have had 3m scotchguard film installed on several cars and have a 3m kit on my 996. The film holds up exceptionally well, even when exposed to years of direct sun....I have a kit on my carerra that was installed 6 years ago and there is still no yellowing or other deterioration in the film. It absolutely protects against rock chips and even some scrapes and the usual paint damage incurred when backing into or bumping forward against someones license plate frame or screws. All that said, there are some inexpensive imitation products which really don't have any of the above characteristics. I am speaking of only the 3m scotchguard material, specifically the "starshield armor" brand of film and installation. On 996s the install, especially on the bumper, is quite difficult and you very unlikely be able to achieve a satisfactory result without extensive training. The installers used by Starshield Armor are the best in the business. They also offer great warranties and actually honor them.

I've had it installed on my 914-6 in 2003 and just recently on my '97 Turbo S and I wouldn't install anything else. I had another brand installed on my Cayenne 3 years ago and it has already dulled a lot. There is a web site for X-pel which lists authorized dealers. Don't let someone hand cut it on your car. Tom

Hello all

Thx Rick

After 9 months I wish I had saved the money and just had the bumper / hood touched up as needed.

I have the thinnest one (5 mm?) & some rock chips do show - a couple larger ones made it through to the paint. The thicker one protects better but costs more and is more obvious.

I had the 3m product installed on my ///M Roadster when I bought it. Held up very well and really protected the nose from all but the most severe rock impacts. Even the big stuff didn't do very much damage. Definitely a sacrificial layer. Highly recommend it be installed by a professional with lots of experience, references (that you actually call) and do NOT let them cut it on the car. They will have to make some trim cuts but don't let them do the whole car that way.

Also, you might want to check with them regarding the durability, or rather removability, of the product on non-factory paint.