Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can You overfill coolant tank ?

I have a 2001 C4 Cab, and preparing for a track day i re-filled the coolant and replaced the cap that seemed to be seeping around the edges.

After a few track sessions, i noticed coolant on the ground... about a 1/2 cup perhaps. It wasnt under my car at the time, so i didnt think it was mine, then after the next session i saw a little more coming from my car... about a few tablespoons full. The car was getting hot on the track, but not close to overheating needle was on the right edge of the 0 in 180 during the most aggressive driving.

The coolant was still full (not below the seam in the plastic tank), but i did fill it to the top of the plastic seam when looking into the tank.

After driving 180-miles home again, i got a few more drips on the driveway (perhaps 10 drips in 2 days)

I couldnt see any place it was leaking from, but it was collecting on the header pipes of the exhaust just below the coolant tank. The exhaust tip looked like it had dried, crusty coolant on the underside.

Q: Can you overfill the tank and blow the excess out ? The leak seems to have slowed/stopped

Q: Will i see any other symptoms if it leaks ? I often get erratic temperatures especially during slower driving or waiting in traffic. it will drift from between the 8 and 0 to just to the right of the 0. Will a system leak make this worse? The cap was crusty from a small leak there for a while.

Q: Does the DIY for tank replacement apply to 2001 ? I think the tank is bigger... does it remove the same way?... i dont want to get half way thru and find i need to drop the engine...(i cant DIY this im sure)

Q: Do i need any special tools for the removal/re-installation. The clamps look pretty beefy. Any precautions when the fuel lines are removed ? Does the system need bleeding after this ?

Thanks

The max line is right at the seam of the tank so i filled it to the top of the seam. You really cant see this at all well from the outside.

It does appear to have dumped the excess onto the exhaust and i cant see a leak anywhere now.

Not a drop today on two short commute runs so far.

The level is still at the seam looking from the outside, but the max arrow looks like it is pointing to the top of the seam.

Thanks