Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 headers Wanted to Rent

RayGT3

I'm looking for someone out there that has upgraded their OE GT3 headers and is willing to rent me the original set for a short period. I want to ceramic coat my headers but can't tie up the lift for a long period of time. So what I'd like to do is get a "spare" set and have them coated and just make the swap all in one shot. I would then return the set from my car (less than 200 mi) to the donor immediately after the change is made. I would expect the loaners to be in as new condition, would pay for all shipping plus a rental charge to be agreed upon. Let me know if you think I'm not totally crazy and might consider doing this. I'm located in WNY so east coast would be best. (or I might consider purchasing them outright if the price were right.) ;) Again, please let me know if interested... Tnx

First of all do not confuse Jet hot (.002"), aluminized heat coatings etc. with true plasma applied ceramic material (.020"). The coating commonly referred to as ceramic coating, are for the most part, aluminized high temp paint. And as such offer no or very little in the way of thermal control properties. These aluminized coatings are a surface protectant as is paint. True ceramic material applied to a surface provides a good method of mitigating heat transfer. In a Porsche the headers and most of the exhaust system is adjacent to the engine and its components. The opportunity for the exhaust heat to migrate to the engine is certainly a problem. By coating the headers and even the mufflers you could substantially reduce the amount of heat in the engine and the engine intake air increasing power and reliability. If you reduce the intake air temperature by 30 deg you gain about 10% in HP. Do the math, this is potientally cheap HP. This is nothing new, racing engines have used this technology for years. If you were to look at the internals of a F1 engine you would see an abundant use. Aside from the heat issues, header scavaging is increased by not allowing the gasses to cool in the headers and reducing the pressure and velocity. Better breathing means more HP, again. I've personally used this in the past and was always pleased with the results. If I can answer any questions you might have please let me know.

• 5 months later...

GT-3,

Give Dan Swain a call at Swain technologies. I have discussed this with him and he is in agreement as to performance and reliability gains. As far as getting headers coated you wil need to remove and send them to Dan. He will take any measures to assure a professional job. When you call tell him that Ray from Buffalo with the silver GT-3, suggested you call him. He's great to do business with and old racer himself. Also let me know how you make out.

• 10 months later...

I have over the course of time (winter), coated my headers. I did take them to Swain Tech. and they did their usual superlative job. They are now back on the car and are performing as designed, as far as I can tell.