Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

For a Top Newbie: Parts needed and tools needed to fix this?

Hi everyone,

I am a complete top newbie. After spending the last two days on this forum reading through the threads here, I think I have somewhat diagnosed the problem. (pictured below)

Can you guys please tell me:

1) What this part is? I believe it's #10 on the parts image below.

2) How much and where can I get it?

3) Are there any special tools I need for the fix?

4) I am currently using one of the guides on here on how to manually open the top from the closed position, but does anyone know if there's a thread on how to fix this part?

5) Do I need to order any other parts other than part #10 (if that's the one?) It's broken on both sides.

Sorry for so many questions, but I just wanted to make sure I had all the materials necessary before I begin the fix. I need to use my car everyday and don't want to unhook the ball joints twice to put the top into service position.

Thanks everyone!!

- Mike

P.S. I have a 99' Boxster

post-2725-1163345096_thumb.jpg

post-2725-1163345111_thumb.jpg

post-2725-1163345123_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikey99n

Hi guys,

The part # is "4" from the diagram. Sorry for any confusions.

I am going to take pictures and write steps for this fix. (I couldn't find one anywhere).

I pretty much know what to do, but i am having a LOT of trouble removing the ball joint that holds the canvas down (since it's in the closed position)...so I can fold the top back. I have enough problems removing this ball joint when I can open the back half way.

i am trying to do what mark is doing in this thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=662

It just won't come off!!! Any advice on how to remove this? I remember when I removed it before, it either comes out SUPER easy or doesn't come out at all.

Any pointers? I've spent the last hour wriggling it around and pulling whichever direction i could think of.

Thanks!

- Mike

Hi guys,

The part # is "4" from the diagram. Sorry for any confusions.

I am going to take pictures and write steps for this fix. (I couldn't find one anywhere).

I pretty much know what to do, but i am having a LOT of trouble removing the ball joint that holds the canvas down (since it's in the closed position)...so I can fold the top back. I have enough problems removing this ball joint when I can open the back half way.

i am trying to do what mark is doing in this thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=662

It just won't come off!!! Any advice on how to remove this? I remember when I removed it before, it either comes out SUPER easy or doesn't come out at all.

Any pointers? I've spent the last hour wriggling it around and pulling whichever direction i could think of.

Thanks!

- Mike

Solution: Mutilated the clip that held the black knob to the clamshell. TIP: Make sure you put a piece of towel between the black knob and your car, because as soon as you take the clip off, that black knob will fling backwards and potentially damage something since it's under very high pressure. bought replacement clips for .77 cents each.