Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

VIN from dealer?

I have a 2003 Targa that I just got and wanted to ask the local dealer if they could pull the VIN and tell me what has been done to date with this car. Understanding that the title hasn't cleared yet, I know that my name won't show as the owner. I wasn't asking about that kind of information....just the service and dates.

But the dealer won't help out stating confidentiality stuff.

Folks, all I want to know is that what/when work was done on this car. I don't care about the owner(s). Carfax showed nothing and the dealer is doing the same.

Any way around this????

My VIN WP0BA29943S635380

thanks

bob.

I have a 2003 Targa that I just got and wanted to ask the local dealer if they could pull the VIN and tell me what has been done to date with this car. Understanding that the title hasn't cleared yet, I know that my name won't show as the owner. I wasn't asking about that kind of information....just the service and dates.

Folks, all I want to know is that what/when work was done on this car. I don't care about the owner(s). Carfax showed nothing and the dealer is doing the same.

Any way around this????

My VIN WP0BA29943S635380

thanks

bob.

When I bought my 01 c2 coupe, I called a dealer in the state that the car was initially registered. I gave him the VIN # and he was able to tell me what dealer sold the car. I called that dealer and they went over the service history over the phone. I looked at several cars before this one and had no problems getting the service histories. In all cases, the prior owners name was blacked out on the hard copies I did get. I am in MA. the dealers were in MA, Maine and Virginia and were most helpful.

Good luck:

Jim Greer

Any way around this????

My VIN WP0BA29943S635380

thanks

bob.

Bob,

I just went through a purchase myself and was also interested in finding out the service history of the car beyond the info on the carfax report. I went to an independent shop specialized in Pcars and they did the PPI for me and also contacted a local dealer and got the service history for me. Because I was close to 100Miles from my residence in buying my car from a private party this worked out great. The indie shop did say that I would not have been able to get the same info from the dealer until I had a proof of ownership document.

I am sure other members of this forum will work their magic in getting you some info. You made the right decision in joining this forum and congrats on the new pcar!!

Demosan :cheers:

• Moderators

The policy varies from dealer to dealer. Some dealers will give you nothing even if you are the current owner. Some want written permission from the former owner. Some will give you nothing even if you are the current owner and have the permission from the former owner - their attitude is an invoice was given to the then owner at the time the work was done and they are not going to do anything more than that.

Your local dealer can only tell you what service work (like an oil change) if it was done at that dealer. Service work done by other dealers is not shared on a central data base, only the servicing dealer's computer. Of course, no dealer has access to work done by an independent shop.

Recall, service actions, and warranty work is on a central data base. Any dealer can access that info even if the work was done by another dealer 3,000 miles away.

My dealer did give out the info. Some time ago my friend was thinking of buying a used Boxster and with his VIN I was able to get this history (excluding service work perforned by other dealers). My dealership has since changed ownership so I will have to see if the policy has changed. The service guy who gave me the info still works there, so I will ask him if the policy has changed.