Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Struts

I have a '99 Boxster with about 94k miles and it is time for new struts in the rear, probably it is best to replace all the way around.

Does anyone have suggestions as to a good/stiffer strut that I can use for better cornering performance? I also am not sure if I may need to get new springs to compliment the stiffer strut. Don't have lots of $$ to spend, so any advice is most welcome. If I can get 80% of what I am looking for with just the new struts then I'll be a very satisfied driver!

• Moderators
I have a '99 Boxster with about 94k miles and it is time for new struts in the rear, probably it is best to replace all the way around.

Does anyone have suggestions as to a good/stiffer strut that I can use for better cornering performance? I also am not sure if I may need to get new springs to compliment the stiffer strut. Don't have lots of $$ to spend, so any advice is most welcome. If I can get 80% of what I am looking for with just the new struts then I'll be a very satisfied driver!

Definitely replace all 4 corners. Does you car have the M030 "Sport Tuned Suspension"? If not, then that is probably your best bet. Great prices from board sponsor Sunset Imports

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...amp;code=sunset

Give 'em a call and tell them you heard about them on RennTech. If you go that route and can rustle up the $$, upgrade to the M030 swaybars too.

Another option is the ROW M030 (ROW stands for Rest of World). This lowers the car around 1/2" and stiffens things up a little more than the US 030. A complete kit can be purchased from Carnewal in Belgium for around US$1200 http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p86003.htm

Good Luck,

Graeme

you can get the same M030 RoW kit from sunset for about the same price (shipped). they'll expidite shipping for $20 - $30.

Thanks! I definitely appreciate your advice, there are several suspension upgrades available and I am not an expert in the field! But it will be a stretch for the pocketbook. Such problems - new leather couch, HDTV, or suspension for the Boxster...

Can anyone enlighten me as to the theory behind 'coilovers'? Looks like a spring and strut combo that allows you to keep the existing springs in place as well?

Thanks! I definitely appreciate your advice, there are several suspension upgrades available and I am not an expert in the field! But it will be a stretch for the pocketbook. Such problems - new leather couch, HDTV, or suspension for the Boxster...

Can anyone enlighten me as to the theory behind 'coilovers'? Looks like a spring and strut combo that allows you to keep the existing springs in place as well?

you actually do away with the factory springs. the coil-over is a combination strut / spring that usually allows adjustable damping (compression / rebound) settings and adjustable ride height. some also come with built-in camber plates. not necessary for street driving, but for serious racers, they help.