Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best Place to get rear center console painted?

I went through this...got burned on one ebay auction...but just didn't want to pay a gazillion dollars for a decoration. If you look on ebay...WHATEVER you do...do NOT buy from "JDownload".

Eric at Bumperplugs does this but I was going to get a replacement console and keep my stock one (leased car, why give someone a painted console at the end?) so the cost of the console + painting was just too high for what I wanted to spend from them. That having been said, it is a fairly involved process to prep and paint it and I wouldn't necessarily trust anyone who hadn't done it before. I'd recommend Bumperplugs.

In the end though, I got mine off an ebay auction from Imagineauto and it is fantastic! Note that to actually swap consoles is a BIG project...you have to transfer every tiny clip and nut and hinge etc...and you need a good full set of Torx drivers but it isnt rocket science and having the 2nd console handy makes it a time consuming but relatively easy "swap".

consoleout-or.jpg

That having been said, after all the time I spent putting my new console on, I don't think I'd ever swap the stock one back and I'll probably end up Ebaying it.

Note that some cars have a moulded-in plastic hinge for the rear bin lid...later cars have a metal hinge. You can easily dremel off the hinge if you don't need it BUT you can't add it if you need the plastic one so be careful to be sure you are getting the right console.

Looks fantastic IMHO...actually looks like it belongs there whereas the flat black plastic one looked like a mistake.

consolein-or.jpg

I would second David's comments. While I did not get my console painted AS, I did get my seat backs painted by an auto restorer, and the job was perfect. I would put my faith in a good body shop, or Eric at Bumper Plugs, or Stephen at Imagine Auto.

There have been black consoles on sale on ebay from time to time..I'd keep checking.