Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HOW DO you PULL SHIFT LEVER OFF? B&M SSK

:clapping: ok, finally got it off, have a blood blister to show for it!....40 minutes to get to step 16, just about to pull off the cables, decided to rest there, so to start fresh in the morning......DON'T WORRY! i will mark the cables :D probably better that i get some rest and start fresh in the morning....

so far so good

Ok guys, can you tell me how different it is between the standard and the short shift?

I am concerned it will make the shifting a bit too "notchy". Also how much more effort is required to change gears.

Also, not sure where I read it, is there a chance of damaging the synchros in the car by doing the SS Kit? I have also read that by leaning on the gear shift can cause grief to the gear box? Is this also a myth?

I will be pulling the centre console out for a paint job so I was contemplating doing the SS Kit at the same time. Your information of this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Arthur

ps I now wish I had never made contact with these forums :D It is costing me a fortune with all these changes to the toys!

Edited by ArthurK

Oalvarez,

It seems that we are both on similar modification paths :D

I have installed my PSE and receiving the PSS9 kit on tuesday for install on Wednesday. I am also pulling the console out for a paint job and thinking of doing a SS Kit install - provided the info I get about the kit is favourable.

It is an amazing world of mods once you get the right information :D

Regards

Arthur

Oalvarez,

It seems that we are both on similar modification paths :D

I have installed my PSE and receiving the PSS9 kit on tuesday for install on Wednesday. I am also pulling the console out for a paint job and thinking of doing a SS Kit install - provided the info I get about the kit is favourable.

It is an amazing world of mods once you get the right information :D

Regards

Arthur

yes, amazing indeed. i think we are so similar in our mods in that we both have spent a lot of time reading and researching what others BEFORE us did!! (i have seen and read your posts as you have mine). but truthfully, most important is the suspension, exhaust, AND from what i have read, the b&m ssk. i have read the same exact posts you have, and i believe the one leaning on the b&m shift lever causing damage is indeed a myth/false. does it make shifting a bit more notchy? yes, from what i read it does, and that is EXACTLY what it's supposed to do (will become a bit more smooth in time). it is supposed to make your shifts shorter, and that is what it does. i personally look to the posts of Loren/Robyn/Tool Pants and a host of others for the BEST INFORMATION, and none of them have anything truly negative to say about the product (b&m ssk). most even say that the b&m is as good as the porsche oem part, and even with my desire to stay oem, in this case i decided against it, as i did with my exhaust (GHL installing on tue/wed). i'm going to give this B&M thing a whirl, at the worse, i have to buy bushings to fit the original shifter and swap it back in place.

Best of luck to you ArthurK

Oalvarez

B&M causing damage is rubbish cause I had it on my 99 C4 (18K miles) and 01 TT (9K miles) with no problems...The new Porsche factory short 'sport' shifter option has a part that is actually made by B&M and looks exactly like the one you and I got!!

I actually plan on adding the under-car B&M to my car for an even shorter throw (The in car B&M shortens front more than rear gears if I remeber)