Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aerokit I and Spoiler Question

Hi - I have the factory Aerokit I installed on my Porsche Boxster 2000 S.

At some point in time I plan to upgrade to a different exhaust, and from what I've read, it's much easier to remove the rear bumper to change out the exhaust. I've also read that in order to get the rear bumper off, you need to raise the spoiler in order to get access to a couple nuts or screws.

My question for the board is - I'd like to find out how I can activate the spoiler so that I can manually put it up to remove the rear bumper. I bought this car used and the prior owner told me that the dealer deactivated the spoiler (I also do not see any warning light on my dash).

I checked the fuse box and the fuse for the rear spoiler is in there and is good. I've tried using the buttons down by the fuse box, but that does not activate the spoiler. I've read somewhere that there is a relay in the trunk that works the spoiler, which could be the reason, or perhaps the spoiler motor was unplugged.

Can anyone provide some insight on things I could check/do in order to activate the spoiler?

Thanks!

They will disconnect the plug connection to the spoiler drive motor and also remove the light from the cluster so as not to get the spoiler indicator light at start-up.

You should be able to see the connection if you remove the luggage compartment lining in the area of the rear panel.

Hi - I have the factory Aerokit I installed on my Porsche Boxster 2000 S.

At some point in time I plan to upgrade to a different exhaust, and from what I've read, it's much easier to remove the rear bumper to change out the exhaust. I've also read that in order to get the rear bumper off, you need to raise the spoiler in order to get access to a couple nuts or screws.

My question for the board is - I'd like to find out how I can activate the spoiler so that I can manually put it up to remove the rear bumper. I bought this car used and the prior owner told me that the dealer deactivated the spoiler (I also do not see any warning light on my dash).

I checked the fuse box and the fuse for the rear spoiler is in there and is good. I've tried using the buttons down by the fuse box, but that does not activate the spoiler. I've read somewhere that there is a relay in the trunk that works the spoiler, which could be the reason, or perhaps the spoiler motor was unplugged.

Can anyone provide some insight on things I could check/do in order to activate the spoiler?

Thanks!

Edited by trmassin

Trmassin - thanks for the info, I will check the trunk and see if I can find the plug.

I need to see a picture of the rear of you car with the tunk lid open and closed, because your question makes no sense to me.

I've attached two pictures that were taken when I first purchased the car, so I picked the best two shots that line up with what you're asking for.

post-10593-1169265290_thumb.jpg

post-10593-1169265306_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks.

This is AeroKit I.

On it, the electric spoiler that moves up and down is removed and a plastic plate takes it's place. To fill the gap left by the movable spoiler a longer tunk lid made of plastic is installed.

I now think I am confused by "I" and "eye."

See, there is a factory Aerokit I and II, and a combination of both.

post-4-1169266564_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

This is AeroKit I.

On it, the electric spoiler that moves up and down is removed and a plastic plate takes it's place. To fill the gap left by the movable spoiler a longer tunk lid made of plastic is installed.

I now think I am confused by "I" and "eye."

See, there is a factory Aerokit I and II, and a combination of both.

I was told that the factory Aerokit I when it initally came out looked like the picture you just posted. They removed the cap on the spoiler (or the spoiler completely) and had a longer trunk lid to cover it. However around 2001'ish they started using the factory trunk lid, covered the 3rd brake light, and just disabled the spoiler. My car is a 2000 S, however it was sold in mid-2001, so most likely they just did to mine what they did to the other 20001's.

• Moderators

I started out in 1999 and watched the changes over the years, but did not pay much attention.

What I remember is that Kit II kept the original steel trunk lid, but the shape of the wing changed. You have the original trunk lid but what I would call the Kit I wing. I do not remember that combination as a factory option, but it must have happened because I have seen pictures of this combination before. I'll have to look at the old Tequipment brochures.

This is Nick's on the UK board boxa.net. This is the wing I remember for Kit II.

post-4-1169300146_thumb.jpg

does the white one not even have a retractable spoiler?

I have the same aerokit 1 on my 2000 986s and I recently replaced my muffler with the Dansk sport muffler. 1st removing the bumper is not necessary to do the installation. To remove the bumper, if your car has the spoiler in the back, you must go to the fuse panel and connect the power for the wing (that is where the maual switch is located to raise and lower the wing) then you must remove the trunk lining(inside the trunk) to get to the wing motor to reconnect it. Once you do this, the wing is now operational.

But again, the time it will take you to remove the bumper will probably take more than if you just be patient and jack the car up and remove the exhaust.

• Moderators
does the white one not even have a retractable spoiler?

It was removed for the Aerokit I retrofit. No reason for the OEM moveable spoiler since it is replaced by the wing on the back of the trunk lid.

The white car is owned by local 1997 owner Mark, but the Aerokit was on when he bought the car a long time ago. Mark's car did not have this installed at the factory. It was put on after delivery and before he purchased the car.

In this picture I pulled off the blaking plate on Mark's car to see if there were remnants of the original electric spoiler. Nothing there.

post-4-1169331682_thumb.jpg