Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I would excercise extreme caution here. I have a 996 tip, and had my tranny ruined as a result of a low fill. In troubleshooting the problem I was told by a premier porsche tech that Porsche tiptronic transmissions are very sensitive to fluid variances and that it is crucial that the spec'd fluid be used or shifting will suffer (and then eventual failure). I can't imagine it would be different on a 997.

Hi Scott,

I am having a professional change the fluid. He told

me that it is alot like changing fluid in a Audi. I do

not have a lift to run the car on and add the fluid at

the same time.

Thank you for the friendly advice.

Paul

PAULSPEED,

I too have heard that the audi tiptronics are very similar. I don't doubt your tech's ability to do the fill correctly (i.e., get the tranny to the proper temperature, put it through every gear, etc....). I would just be very cautious about putting anything other than the factory spec in the car (by the way, I was quoted 12k for a new tranny, not including install...so you definately don't want to mess the thing up, which I'm told is hard to do, unless the wrong fluid or not enough is used!). My tech went so far to visit the shop where I had my last ATF change just to ensure they were using the factory fill and not something that was "pretty close." Good luck!

Edited by ScottArizona

HI,

HOW ABOUT 21K MILES, TWO TRACK EVENTS WITH TEMPERATURES IN THE 90 DEGREES F.

I FEEL THAT I HAVE TORTURED THE FLUID BUT I COULD BE WRONG. THE NEXT EVENT

IS IN 23 DAYS AND I AM STILL WAITING ON THE FILTER THAT WILL SHIP FROM GERMANY.

PAUL

I think your fluid is good til about 60k. Can't remember what the manual says under severe condition. I think it's either 60 or 90k.

Can't hurt changing the fluid but it's not really needed. There is a dedicated radiator just for tiptronic fluid. Just my opinion.

Hi,

Yes the manual says to change the fluid after

60,000 miles. It also says to change the oil every

30,000 miles. Well, I am on my secound oil change

and I change the oil every 10,000 miles. The old

oil is very black. I figure the transmission fluid is

some what dark. I plan to have the mechanic save a little bit so

I can see the color. I am still waiting for the parts but

when I get them, and I have the work done, I will post a picture of

the color of the fluid. I really like how this car runs and

I would like to make it run for some time. My last car ran for

230,000 miles but I did not race it like I race the Porsche.

Paul

Hi, I have a Tiptronic Boxster and saw your post. I'm not sure your gearbox is the same as mine but mine is certainly the same as is used in some VW/Audi cars (a ZF 5HP19FL). Take a look here: http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/

The page talks about the fluid needing to meet LT 71141 standards which is an Esso lube. There are various other oils that seem to meet this standard including Quaker State and Pentosin. However, it also states that Quaker State is identical to Pennzoil ATF so make of that what you will. Maybe you're better off sticking to the Audi/VW stuff if you're not sure?

In the UK (where I am), Porsche do not sell the oil in small containers, they just buy in large drums of it. Fortunately, VW sell it by the litre. It's part number "G 052 162 A2". I paid about £10 for a litre over here. Hope that helps.

Paul,

Having a 996 Tiptronic, I think you are doing the right thing by changing the oil more frequently for track. If you keep a log of track miles and temperatures, would help too. I would change mine yearly (at least) with about 20 track days though the year, ranging from 100 mile days to 220 mile days. The fluid will turn black quickly with the heavy track use, cheap insurance IMO.

Also keep in mind that when you drain and fill, you only get about 2/3's of the volume recycled every time. You can keep the filter for a few years, don't have to change it every time. Not an expensive part ($33), but adds a bit of labor to remove the pan and replace the gasket. clean the pan and magnets.

With the right tools and fluid, you can do it yourself pretty easy too. It really is not hard, just have to pump the oil in the fill hole. I used a simple pump sprayer, dedicated to ATF, for $18 at Home Depot. Like the standard tranny, you know it is full when oil escapes from the fill hole.

Izzy

Hi Izzy,

The 996 instructions talk about running thru the gears

once you fill it up and then to retop the fluid. The instructions

says you need a lift to do this which I do not own. I would do it myself if it

was not for this item.

Paul

Paul,

All I do is get my car on 4 jack stands, about 14-15" high on the stands. That is all I need to manuever and get to the all the bits and pieces. You can see a partial picture in this link of the rear wheel off the ground, last pic on the set.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6203

If you decide to do it, I found a new "easy" trick for the temperature sensor. I placed the sensor inside a 4" clear tygon hose, then inserted a standard 12 gauge home wire in the hose with the sensor. Bending the wire into a hook shape and insert into the fill hole. This way you can make sure the sensor is reading the temp from near the bottom of the pan, and it stays in position. Don't know why I didn't figure it out sooner.....

I am thinking about a lift, a Bend Pak scissor lift, if I can convince my wife that I "need" it.......