Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Courtesy Lights

I have a 1999 996 that I just bought. The interior courtesy lights don't work with the door opening or the remote unlocking. With the key on the lights work as they should when the door is opened. The door panel lights also do not work unless the key is on. Can anyone tell me how to get the lights to work as the owners manual says they should? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Mike

Thanks for the response viper501. The switches are in the correct positions, but with the key off, none of the switch positions turn on the lights. With the key on, all positions function as they are supposed to.

RFM, I'm afraid I don't know what a PIWIS tester is. Is it a "dealer only" device?

Thanks

• Moderators

After all these years your car may still be in the transit mode. Interior lights do not work unless the key is turned on to save the battery during shipment. With a new car the dealer with a PST2 was to take the car out of the transit mode and put it in the handover mode.

Thanks for the response viper501. The switches are in the correct positions, but with the key off, none of the switch positions turn on the lights. With the key on, all positions function as they are supposed to.

RFM, I'm afraid I don't know what a PIWIS tester is. Is it a "dealer only" device?

Thanks

The PIWIS is the computer system used by the dealers to interface with the onboard systems and adjust things. The PTS2 is also capable of doing the changes on your car. Hendrick should be able to do it in short order OR you could check some independents like Eurowerks in Matthews. Was up there yesterday for their swap meet and was pretty impressed with the Porsche stable they had.

You guys in Charlotte, good to know. I am in Matthews, about 2 miles from Euroworks actually. I am going this weekend to Kershaw for the PCA weekend, driving number 40. Let me know if either of you are going, we can meet down there.

Izzy